Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dirt shooting through returns

1. Back To Top    #1

Dirt shooting through returns

When I switch my pump into high speed, it looks like there is dirt shooting through the returns for about 5 seconds. I only use high speed for priming the pump after cleaning the strainer basket, and sometimes for vacuuming. The filter does a great job keeping the water sparkling clear, even with the considerable amount of debris I get in the pool. I'm not sure when the sand was last changed, if it ever has. Is there anything I should try before removing all the sand and inspecting the internals?
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Dirt shooting through returns

backwash and rinse thoroughly.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You should try resettling the sand bed, the same thing you do when the filter is channeled. See this post for instructions.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks I'll give it a shot this weekend.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

I just heard today that I will have the next 4 days off from work so, I went out to the pumphouse and opened up the filter to clean as suggested. I stuffed the garden hose in the sand bed and cranked it up, and WOW there was a TON of nasty stuff in the filter! I kept the hose going for about 2 hours, moving around every 10 minutes or so, until the overflowing water was clear whenever I moved the hose. Did a decent job of flooding the pumphouse and the yard behind it. Looking at the nasty crud that seemed to never stop coming out of my filter, I find it hard to belive the previous owners EVER properly backwashed the filter, let alone clean it like I just did After doing this, it probably would have been easier/less mess, to just change the sand, but I probably spent a buck or two on water as opposed to about $50 on new sand. Plus, sitting out there cleaning the filter was a good excuse for a few