Any effective cheap way to keep away mosquitos?

If you want something that doesnt smell, and makes no mess and actually works- get a Thermocell Lantern. Each will do a 15' diameter. Mosquitoes are horrible here in Georgia and these things work great- best of all no mess!!!!!!!!!

They even provide a nice ambiance to sit around and enjoy. I have tried many different methods, but the cost versus effort vs smell.....these win for me everytime.

Good Luck!!!

From reading up on mosquitos last year (we had them , and bad), it seems they don't travel all that far from where they've hatched.

So, first get rid of any (ANY) standing water - in kids toys, drianage ditches, culverts, flowerpots, etc. It doesn't take much water for the skeeters to go to town.

Second, I bought a tub of "Mosquito Bits" that disrupt the lifecycle. The tub is a big thing, cheap, and uses very little at a time. Once a week or so i scatter a few pieces in birdbaths, drains, even damp/swampy dirt.

Our mosquito problem is 90-95% reduced. The last few you can nuke with repellant/candle/whatever.

Best of luck! Link for Mosquito Bits
http://www.gemplers.com/biological-mosq ... 6038765305

In reading here and the threads from prior years, I think I'm going to get something to put in the storm drain in front of my house, plus set up a bucket to lure the mosquitoes to lay eggs where they will be killed, and use a thermocell for my deck where we'd be grilling/eating at. The pool itself we'd be mostly underwater or splashing anyway, so it's mostly the deck that needs protecting.

I'm glad there is something that seems effective, I wasn't looking forward to getting eaten alive lol.

We use a combo of the mosquito dunks in standing water, thermo cell lanterns and a pyrethren fogger an hour before swimming. Use care with fogger drift if you have fish/koi ponds

Last year I heard the idea to spray Listerine from a spray bottle around the area where folks will be congregating. I decided to try it out and sprayed all around the pool and patio area while everyone was out there. I do believe it actually had a positive effect. NO major complaints of mosquitoes!! Only downside perhaps is that if you spray it too close to everyone, you'll smell it for a little while...but it does fade away.

How about building, or buying, a bat house and putting it somewhere near the pool? If you don't mind bats, they will eat up a lot of misquotes pretty quick. During the summer I've got a few that love to come out when I'm vacuuming the pool at night when the light attracts the bugs. They are pretty fun to watch while I'm getting bored doing my vacuuming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
wiscousonian said:
How about building, or buying, a bat house and putting it somewhere near the pool? If you don't mind bats, they will eat up a lot of misquotes pretty quick. During the summer I've got a few that love to come out when I'm vacuuming the pool at night when the light attracts the bugs. They are pretty fun to watch while I'm getting bored doing my vacuuming.

Yeah sure that'll definitely work on the mosquitos. But now you are gonna have to fight vampires all summer :lol: :lol:

X3 on Thermacell. In small areas if the wind isn't blowing like crazy, they work extremely well.
I get eaten alive without it but within 10 minutes of turning them on there isn't a mosquito around. I have 5 that I place around the pool area where we hang out at night. I haven't been dissapointed yet.

Get a BIG fan :-D

We usually use the fan if we are right on the deck and Tiki Torches around the pool, but looking for other alternatives for around the yard. Our neighbor is a breeding ground which sucks because we do everything we can to keep them at bay. Nothing like getting attacked like 15 times just for a couple of minutes in the evening just to walk out and put bleach in the pool.

I've tried rubbing bounce sheets on my legs and it seemed to help but not entirely. I hate spraying repellent on when I won't be out long, though I love the Avon stuff, because they say you don't have to wash it off.

Attachments

• wlmosquito.jpg
    wlmosquito.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 569
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.