Replace Single Speed Motor With A Dual Speed?

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

I've got the Hayward 1HP Superpump (Model #: SP2607X10). The motor is seized on it. Took it apart, and there's nothing that could make it spin.

So, I was about to buy the replacement motor (Model #: UST1102), but I noticed the dual speed motor (Model #: STS1102) for the dual speed Hayward 1HP Superpump (Model #: SP2607X102S) for $100 more.

Few quick questions:

1) I know for some pumps you can replace the single speed motor with a dual speed. Does anyone know in this particular case if it can be done?

2) Looks like the dual speed is 230v only. I can't remember off hand if I'm currently wired for 115 or 230. But if I'm 115, it's not a big deal to have it switched to 230, right? Just basically replace the circuit breaker, right? (I have a dedicated line for the pump).

3) I'm about to install a salt water system (Compupool most likely). Will the dual speed effect it anyway? Would I still be able to gain the advantages or would I always need to run it at normal speed?

4) Another option I have instead is to get an energy efficient motor (Model #: UCT1102) for $60 more. Says it's 33% more energy efficient. Would this be as good (or almost as good) of a route to take?

THANKS!!!!

Yes, you can always replace a single speed with a double speed as long as the SFHP on high speed is the same as the SFHP on the single speed and the frame size matches.

Dual speed motors are always single voltage. You can find some small dual speed motors in 115 volt, but most of them are 230 volt.

Changing from 115 to 230 on the circuit can usually be done simply by changing the breaker, but you must have a dedicated circuit to the pump and room for the larger 230 volt breaker in the panel.

SWGs are almost always fully compatible with dual speed pumps. Now and then you get a setup where they won't work on low speed, but that is unusual.

A dual speed on low is much better than an energy efficient motor on high. An energy efficient dual speed is better still.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.