Repairing a suction line leak.....?

After removing the winter cover on our inground, vinyl pool I thought I'd address an ongoing issue I have been having. I have been getting c hampagne bubbles out of the return jets and seem to always have air being introoduced into the basket just before the pump. I assume from those symptoms that I have a leak between the skimmer and pump.
I was sort of planning on threading a fitting into the skimmer basket suction so that I can attach a hose to this and run it into a 5 gallon bucket, where I will put the cover pump that I have....I'll run the discharge from the pump to the pool pump end of the suction line so that I accomplish a closed loop. I plan on introducing a stop leak liquid into the bucket and circulate it around this closed loop.
1. Anybody see any downfalls to this idea
2. How much stop leak should I use?
3. How long should I circulate it...?..I understand that it takes a while to cure before putting into service

Thanks in advance for your input
RR

The stop leak stuff will only work if you reverse the flow direction completely. It is also fairly aggressive, sometimes blocking off stuff you don't want blocked off. I would try that only as a last resort.

Have you done all the usual checks first? Look at the seal on the pump strainer basket lid and make sure it is clean and free of nicks and the lid is sealing down correctly. Also make sure the water level is high enough in the skimmer that you aren't getting a vortex which can draw air down into the skimmer. You can often find a suction side plumbing leak by running a garden hose on each suction side fitting in turn, watching to see if the air in the pump strainer basket goes away.

20 psi is completely safe and should be enough for your test. Pool plumbing ought to be good to 50 psi, but I would never go above 40 psi and try to stay below that when practical. Sometimes you run into something that is working just fine, but close to failing, and 50 psi will break it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.