Noisy Hayward sand filter

May 15, 2011
just bought a home with a 18K pool. Previous experience has only been with SWG pool. In addition to fighting algea, my Hayward multiport valve makes a cavitation noise when on Filter setting. Reducing flow does not work, and I have verified no leaks on pump suction. The noise goes away when I change to backwash, waste, recirculate, or rinse settings. I tried installing a ball valve at the pressure gauge to bleed out air, but no luck. Pressure downstream of the sand filter runs about 18# and I have verified good return flow. Any advice on what to try next?

Glad to find the site. Had a bad experience at Leslies today, came home and found you guys. I did take the valve apart and it looked good as new. Verified O-ring was in good shape. Still cavitation noise only on Filter setting.

Hmmm. If you're getting that rattle on filter mode but not rinse (or any other) that certainly points to the multi-port as the culprit. Are you pretty sure the sound is coming from the multiport? What is the psi on "rinse"? Similar to the 18 on "filter"?

Thanks for the tips, however none have resolved the problem. One more piece of data: today my back pressure on the filter increased 10 psi after a hard rain. The valve was quiet as i have ever heard. After a long backwash and rinse cycle, the pressure decreased and the noise returned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.