Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noisy Hayward sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Noisy Hayward sand filter

just bought a home with a 18K pool. Previous experience has only been with SWG pool. In addition to fighting algea, my Hayward multiport valve makes a cavitation noise when on Filter setting. Reducing flow does not work, and I have verified no leaks on pump suction. The noise goes away when I change to backwash, waste, recirculate, or rinse settings. I tried installing a ball valve at the pressure gauge to bleed out air, but no luck. Pressure downstream of the sand filter runs about 18# and I have verified good return flow. Any advice on what to try next?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Noisy Hayward sand filter

Welcome to TFP!

Have you tried opening up the multi-port to see if there is a pebble in there bouncing around or a cracked piece of plastic or anything like that?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Glad to find the site. Had a bad experience at Leslies today, came home and found you guys. I did take the valve apart and it looked good as new. Verified O-ring was in good shape. Still cavitation noise only on Filter setting.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I just had this same problem on one of my customer's Hayward sand filters. Turns out all he had to do was backwash it for a good bit, he backwashed for 10min and rinsed for 5min.

5. Back To Top    #5

I back flushed for 15 mins and rinsed for 5. Noise did not go away, but I will keep trying. I did confirm from previous homeowner that the sand was replaced 3 months ago

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Hmmm. If you're getting that rattle on filter mode but not rinse (or any other) that certainly points to the multi-port as the culprit. Are you pretty sure the sound is coming from the multiport? What is the psi on "rinse"? Similar to the 18 on "filter"?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

The pressure decrease 2 psi in rinse mode. I'm fairly certain it is the valve, but I'm new at sand filters so I'm not 100% certain.

8. Back To Top    #8

Both of My Hayward S210 filters with multiport valves, have made this noise in the past. I find that while the pumps is running and in "filter" opening the top screw on the filter will bleed the air out.

Good Luck.
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the tips, however none have resolved the problem. One more piece of data: today my back pressure on the filter increased 10 psi after a hard rain. The valve was quiet as i have ever heard. After a long backwash and rinse cycle, the pressure decreased and the noise returned.

10. Back To Top    #10

Why would the pressure go up 10psi after rain?
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

11. Back To Top    #11

What is your clean pressure? Are you exceeded the GPM rating of the multivalve?
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Filter pressure went up due to dirt and leaves in my pool after bad weather. My clean filter runs about 20 psi