I think my IC-40 Died!

phalcon51

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2010
So. California
For the last day or so my Intellichlor IC-40 has had the red "Low Salt" light on steady and the green "Cell" light has been off, regardless of where I set the output from 20% to 100%. I tested the salt level with both the AquaCheck test strips (3570 ppm) and the Taylor K-1766 drop test (4000 ppm) and found the salt level to be well within the acceptable range. I tried powering off the IC-40 by shutting off the breaker at the panel, waited a minute and then powered it back on - same result. I pulled the whole unit out to check the blades for buildup and they were absolutely clean. The unit is only about 8 mo. old, installed on 9/27/10. I usually run the output at 10%, occasionally 20% for maybe a day. Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot the unit?

Btw, is the disparity between the test strips and the drop test (430 ppm) typical? Should I trust the drop test more?

Thanks,

Gary

JesseJames - Thanks for the tip, but I did have the cell set to 0% when I powered it off and on.

JasonLion - Thanks, but I checked for scaling as mentioned in the original post. The plates looked almost new, no scaling at all.

susa - Any idea how much the IntelliWand runs? And, yes, I'll be calling Pentair in the morning.

Gary

Since winter time my salt reads on my IC40 were low (1750 ppm). It continued through spring time, so I've been playing with it ever since spring time. If the salt read is 2600 or below, it won't produce chlorine, so I was constantly supplementing with bleach while my readings were low.

I also noticed that when I bumped it up to 50 % from around 10 % the salt read went up. You might want to try that for a day. I think that the longer run times helps with the readings. Although its not a long term solution.

If you haven't cleaned it within the last 3 months I'd clean it with the 4:1 solution, even if it looks clean. It helped mine. If you call for a warranty claim, that's the first question they'll ask-- if you cleaned the cell. So you might as well clean it. This is what got my reading up to 2800 ppm. Salt strip read 3050. So I added a 40 lb. bag.

Also, low flow for longer periods of time can also make it read low, even though the flow light is green. It did with mine. I noticed that you have a VS pump. I have a VF pump and noticed that when I run it at low flow 23 to 26 GPM for longer periods of time, my salt reads are lower (3150 ppm) than when the solar is on at 36+GPM (3350 ppm). It usually takes a few hours before any changes take place. I've read that the cell needs around 25 GPM to work properly. It's been working for me as low as 23 GPM.

Also if the water is below 70 degrees it'll probably read low. As the temp. in my pool rose, so did the salt read.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.