should i replace my pump

May 15, 2011
Upstate New York
I have a 30' round 54" deep pool roughly 24,000 gallons. the problem I am having is that the whole pool is not circulating, the far end (away from the pump) turns green first and you can just tell it does not get any circulation at all. I was thinking about getting a different pump or splitting the return and having a return on both sides of the pool.

My current pump is aquatools 1 1/2 hp and i have 19" sand filter with a auto pilot cubby SWG (this needs to be replaced also, open for suggestions just too small for this pool size). Also don't know if this is another sign i am under pumped but my auto vacuum keeps getting stuck to the floor of the pool (worked fine for 2 years and this started last year).

I am open to all suggestions

If you turn the eyeball to the right, there should be enough flow in a AGP round pool to get a water current moving in the counterclockwise direction. Once it's started, a round pool is one of the easiest to acheive good circulation in. I agree your pump is likely too big and the filter is too small. That said, have you noticed decreased flow from the return or have you backwashed the filter recently?

I backwash weekly, and yes i have noticed lower pressure, the pressure gauge runs higher then it used to, I changed the sand last year (sand was only 3 years old) thinking it was to dirty or something. It is a very large above ground at 30' and 24k gallons do you think i should put in another return jet?

Adding another return will certainly help, but you should be able to get it to work by aiming your existing return jet just right. Your pump is large enough, it ought to be able to get some good circulation going. The vacuum sticking to the floor is a sign of the pump being too large, not too small.

What kind of filter do you have? There might be some kind of filter issue involved here.

Do you have a vacuum regulator on your vacuum hose? If so it might be stuck causing the suction at the head to be too much.

A 19" filter is too small for your pool but should work. Have you changed anything lately?

Not to side track your initial issue. I think you need to fiigure out why you're not getting good circulation around the pool. As Dman said, a round pool is very easy to get good circulation in. Lets work through a few things to see if we can help you with that first.

1) Where is your return in relation to your skimmer? (let us know if that's standing outside or inside the pool)
2) What size eyeball do you have. (The size of the opening.)
3) How far away from the skimmer do you have the eyeball adjusted right now?
4) Is the flow from the eyeball churning the surface of the pool when it's running?
5) What is your filter pressure reading when clean and when needing backwashing?
6) Post a set of test results and how you got them.
pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA

Most suction side vacuums have some type of regulator to adjust the amount of suction to the unit. It's usually in the hose close to the skimmer/suction fitting in the pool. Which vacuum do you have?

I would recommend a 300# filter for your pool but there's nothing in your posts to indicate the need to change the one you have.

My return is on the panel next to my skimmer about 5-6 feet away (sorry not my choice)
My hole is 1.5" but the eye hole is about an inch (sorry at work I will double check tonight)
the eyeball is pointed straight out to get try and get to the opposite side of the pool
I have the eyeball pointed slightly down so it does not ripple the top of the water
there is a white line on my pressure guage for max pressure when it gets to there is when i backwash ( i think it is 35? again will check tonight)
I will get the test results for you tonight also.

I have a dirt devil d2000

my pool is 4 years old and i didnt do all of my homework when i purchased it (I fell for the bigger HP game on the pump etc) the pump is getting very loud and I am willing to do anything or replace anything to get this all working properly. But I want to make sure I am doing it right this time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
tycalmc said:
the eyeball is pointed straight out to get try and get to the opposite side of the pool
There's part of your problem. Turn the eyeball as far away from the skimmer as you can toward the side of the pool. That gets the entire pool circulating like a big whirlpool (not as dramatic of course) and usually results in better circulation throughout. I aim my eyeball like that and it makes the entire pool circulate. I also have to aim the eyeball so that it barely disturbs the surface of the water to get the debris to circulate by and into the skimmer.

That could be the vacuum head wearing out. It should have brushes that hold it just a little bit above the bottom. If those brushes get worn down or bent it can get too close to the bottom and the suction will grab the bottom.

I'll go out on a limb and say I think it may be the vacum :( I'm not a fan of that design vacum (personal opinion only). I have heard of a lot of AGP folks having good results with the Hayward Aquabug or Diver Dave as a suction side cleaner on AGPs. The other option is getting a robot or just pulling out the manual vacum (although you have a large pool = plenty of sweat and :cheers: )

edit...or what Jason said :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.