Intex Hard plumbed and getting there on the TA.

Verdog

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Central Texas
Just an update.... Much thanks to Mark (crookm11) and his awesome pictures and explanations! I used his adapter plans and modded them even further. I used a belt sander to shave off an additional .16 to make the 2-1.25 bushings match the ID of a 1.5" pvc coupler, and did not have to narrow to 1.25. I need to special order a 10 degree elbow, but its plumbed like his and I actually lost 2 psi on the filter vs hoses with the same output.

As of today I am down 100+ on the TA and keeping it going. It is taking a couple of days to get the pH rebound that was getting down in hours before. My TA is at 140! Another week and I will be there. Everything else is in check!

Y'all Rock!

And I got the remote temp sensor that everyone talked about at HD.

019.jpg

021.jpg

023.jpg

Looking Good Verdog!!! :goodjob:

I'm glad you were able to follow my pics and explanation. I didn't even think of trying to get the adapter to fit directly in to a coupler. Great job. :goodjob:

The one thing I would do with your set up is put some support under the pipe. The weight of the water in the pipe will put some stress on the pump basket and the out put of the filter.

Great looking water too. :cheers:

crookm11 said:
Looking Good Verdog!!! :goodjob:

I'm glad you were able to follow my pics and explanation. I didn't even think of trying to get the adapter to fit directly in to a coupler. Great job. :goodjob:

The one thing I would do with your set up is put some support under the pipe. The weight of the water in the pipe will put some stress on the pump basket and the out put of the filter.

Great looking water too. :cheers:

That's what I am doing now. I took the pic right after i finished, cured and started the pump. You are the master making Intex great!

racerboy6996 said:
what did you do with your salt water system? can you provide details on the way you split it up?

The salt water system that you see on verdogs pictures is not a normal system that has been split up. Verdog has the new integrated SWG and pump/filter combo. Intex just combined the 2 together.

crookm11 said:
racerboy6996 said:
what did you do with your salt water system? can you provide details on the way you split it up?

The salt water system that you see on verdogs pictures is not a normal system that has been split up. Verdog has the new integrated SWG and pump/filter combo. Intex just combined the 2 together.

Correct. The clear pipes you see in the 2nd pic are the SWG. If you buy them all together its "integrated" instead of a seperate module. On this one, the Copper plates is the disconected part above the pump basket and the Flow Sensor and SW Plates are at the return.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi, I have been following eveyones great mods on their intex pools but the one I really want to do is to add a through the wall skimmer, but I'm SCARED :pale: about putting a knife to my perfectly good liner. Anyone with any good tips insight would be appreciated.

I have checked out the local pool store and looked at both the regular and the widemouth hayward skimmers. The salesman was concerned about the abilty of the sidewall to support the weight of the skimmer and the water it contained.
I can see his point, particularly with the widemouth, not only is it larger but it stands back from the side wall and must create signiicant leverage? I was wondering if I should be looking for a particular make/model, they all seem very similar to me? i have read various threads and noted that people wished that they had put in a widemouth skimmer but haven't noticed anyone who has actually done it and listed which make/model they used.

UPSguy said:
When you add a through the wall skimmer can you still get the water level as high as you can with the floating skimmer? Another very nice job by one of our members modifying a Intex.

For me the answer is no, I have to run ~ 3 inches lower then I normally would to allow the skimmer room to skim. You could maybe try and mount the skimmer higher but you would be straddling the top seam and I don't think you would get a good seal on the skimmer gasket.

-Matt

Hey everyone,

We are getting ready to purchase our new 22' Intex pool, and was planning to buy the Heritage Wide Mouth Pool Skimmer, along with it, however, we are not sure if we can hard pipe to the Heritage like the Wayward above.

Has anyone used one of these Heritage Wide Mouth Pool Skimmer?

If I can't remove the tapered fitting for the hose connection then I will wait and purchase another brand so I can hard pipe everything.

Thanks

I just partially hard plumbed my intex pool this summer. i changed out the intex inlet & return,replaced them with 1 1/2" hayward return fittings. i also installed a a hayward wide mouth skimmer. from there i plumbed 1 1/4" pvc with unions to the ground & tied the 2 inlets(skimmer & original inlet hole) together with pvc & 2 returns together. from the tee i used a 40 mm connector adaptor from in the swim & used intex hoses to my intex sand filter & swg. my plan for winter will be to remove the returns & skimmer before rolling up the pool for storage. some on this great site have left their intex pools up for winter.i won't. too many moles & chipmunks burrowing & who knows if we will pay for last years warm temps. this winter. may be COLLLDDD!!!!

matt_e said:
UPSguy said:
When you add a through the wall skimmer can you still get the water level as high as you can with the floating skimmer? Another very nice job by one of our members modifying a Intex.

For me the answer is no, I have to run ~ 3 inches lower then I normally would to allow the skimmer room to skim. You could maybe try and mount the skimmer higher but you would be straddling the top seam and I don't think you would get a good seal on the skimmer gasket.

-Matt

I just installed a hawyard skimmer on my 16x48 ultra frame. I mounted it as high as I can, butted right up to the seam. My water level is right at the second "tile". No leaks AND i cut the butterfly gasket in half. I did however tighten the skimmer screws down pretty tight using a small 12v impact driver. Was a breeze...my 7 yr old daughter helped on the outside while I was in the pool.... She thought it should have been the other way around though... lol
Be sure and use a fresh, sharp razor blade on your box cutter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.