flow slow down

May 15, 2011
Just replaced my filter and pump. On first start up pressure reads 19 with good return flow and good suction on both skimmer and side wall suction lines. After a few days the discharge and suction flow slow down but the pressure on the gauge still reads 19. I shut down the pump to check pump basket and impellar for obstructions and fill the chlorinator. Impellar and basket were both clear, primed and started pump to again great flow after 1 day or so flow seems to start to slow down again. What could be causing this? Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to TFP!

One possibility is that you are getting some air in to the pump strainer basket, which could affect the flow rate. Most pump strainer baskets have a clear lid, so it is easy to look through and see if air is accumulating in there.

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

One possibility is that you are getting some air in to the pump strainer basket, which could affect the flow rate. Most pump strainer baskets have a clear lid, so it is easy to look through and see if air is accumulating in there.

Thanks for the quick response. My strainer basket is domed so there is a little air space on the top but the basket is full with water sloshing flowing into it. I just now checked the return flow and it has weakend some from yesterday. I then closed off the skimmer and checked the side walll suction and the pull of the pump increasedthere which makes sense. Then switched on the skimmer valve and shut the wall suction valve, increased suction there now so there is no blockages because the basket stayed full both times(not starving pump). I then shut the pump off for 5 minutes and checked chlorine readings (algae problems on start up). Basket was still full when I went to turn pump on, after turning pump on I checked flow at the eyelet and it was back up anter pump being off for only 5 mins. What could be the cause of the flow slowing down? Would a 2 speed pump run faster at start up? Not that that is the pump that I think I have as it says hi-flo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.