Still a little confused about electrical work

Apr 22, 2011
Ohio
Ok, I understand what I need to have done, concerning a dedicated line for the pool pump, and wanting an additional line for future use, lights, radio, etc... I am a little confused about bonding. I tried to read up on it, and I see that a copper wire needs to be bolted from the pump to the pool?? Is this all that needs done? Who does this? Me or the pool installer? The one pic I saw, showed the wire on one of the screws that was at the seam of the pool. That would be hard to do, if the installer doesn't do this part. Is there a link or post I can read for more info?

The bonding wire should be done by the same person that's responsible for the electrical work. I the installer is responsible then the electrician they hire should do it. If it's an above ground pool, it's easy to bond them.

Any metal part in contact with pool water or within 5' of the pool wall must be connected to the bonding conductor.

Bama Rambler said:
The bonding wire should be done by the same person that's responsible for the electrical work. I the installer is responsible then the electrician they hire should do it. If it's an above ground pool, it's easy to bond them.

Any metal part in contact with pool water or within 5' of the pool wall must be connected to the bonding conductor.

Ok, just sounds weird. Shouldn't I already have electrical installed before the pool is installed? That way, he has a place to plug in the pump? That means I would have to have the electrician come back out to bond after the install. (more money) And yes, it will be an above ground pool. Is it simply connecting the pump to the pool wall with the copper wire?

Check the manual for the pool, it'll tell you where you have to bond it. Some steel wall pools only require bonding in one place as the entire wall is bonded by one connection. If all you have is the pool and pump you can just run a #8 awg wire between the pump and the pool wall somewhere. If you have a swcg, etc, then those will have to be connected to the bonding conductor too. Make sure that the pool installer installs the bonding lug(s) as they're installing the pool. You can run the wire later.

Bama Rambler said:
Check the manual for the pool, it'll tell you where you have to bond it. Some steel wall pools only require bonding in one place as the entire wall is bonded by one connection. If all you have is the pool and pump you can just run a #8 awg wire between the pump and the pool wall somewhere. If you have a swcg, etc, then those will have to be connected to the bonding conductor too. Make sure that the pool installer installs the bonding lug(s) as they're installing the pool. You can run the wire later.

Ok, thanks. Ya, for now, it will be the pump and pool only. "Make sure that the pool installer installs the bonding lugs." Umm, why didn't I just think of that, lol. Thanks. I have just been trying to have it all figured out before it actually happens.

I just went through the same thing. Had a new AG pool installed a few weeks ago. I did the electrical myself and according to the 2008 NEC code, I had to run a #8 copper wire all the way around the pool and it needed to connect to 4 different points around the pool. Then I had to install a metal water bond fitting which has a lug attached to it. One end of the #8 bonding wire connects to this and the other end goes to the motor. This is what my local inspector recquired.

Lone Wolf said:
I just went through the same thing. Had a new AG pool installed a few weeks ago. I did the electrical myself and according to the 2008 NEC code, I had to run a #8 copper wire all the way around the pool and it needed to connect to 4 different points around the pool. Then I had to install a metal water bond fitting which has a lug attached to it. One end of the #8 bonding wire connects to this and the other end goes to the motor. This is what my local inspector recquired.

This is what our electrical inspector wanted to see as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool is all resin as well and I was told I needed to bond it. Since there is a layer of sand that the liner sits on you can drill a small hole through the metal wall without damaging the liner. I dug under the plastic track until I could feel the back of the metal wall and got a bonding lug and a brass screw/nut and drilled a small hole through the wall. The lug will sit on the outside of the pool wall on top of the track. I scraped the area where the lug contacted the wall so there was metal to metal contact. Then the whole thing needs to be buried a few inches. There may be another way but that's what I did and I passed inspection.

Yup, you need to bond the metal wall...see below pic..make sure to have your installer attach a bonding lug to one of the screws holding the wall together. In my case, I was able to push the wall back some before it was completely full and get it attached. Ran #8 wire from that lug to my pump. The Bonding wire does not and should not be run back to the panel or grounded.

IMG_1067.jpg

Different inspectors interpret the rules differently. My reading of the rules says only a single connection is required for an above ground pool, but if your inspector says four, it is a much better idea to put in four connections than to try and argue with the inspector.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.