Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Still a little confused about electrical work

1. Back To Top    #1

Still a little confused about electrical work

Ok, I understand what I need to have done, concerning a dedicated line for the pool pump, and wanting an additional line for future use, lights, radio, etc... I am a little confused about bonding. I tried to read up on it, and I see that a copper wire needs to be bolted from the pump to the pool?? Is this all that needs done? Who does this? Me or the pool installer? The one pic I saw, showed the wire on one of the screws that was at the seam of the pool. That would be hard to do, if the installer doesn't do this part. Is there a link or post I can read for more info?
    14.6K gal., 24ft, 54" above ground. 2HP, 2speed Hayward pump (4psi low, 18psi hi), 150sqft cartridge filter. 4x20 solar panel (6 psi).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Still a little confused about electrical work

The bonding wire should be done by the same person that's responsible for the electrical work. I the installer is responsible then the electrician they hire should do it. If it's an above ground pool, it's easy to bond them.

Any metal part in contact with pool water or within 5' of the pool wall must be connected to the bonding conductor.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The bonding wire should be done by the same person that's responsible for the electrical work. I the installer is responsible then the electrician they hire should do it. If it's an above ground pool, it's easy to bond them.

Any metal part in contact with pool water or within 5' of the pool wall must be connected to the bonding conductor.

Ok, just sounds weird. Shouldn't I already have electrical installed before the pool is installed? That way, he has a place to plug in the pump? That means I would have to have the electrician come back out to bond after the install. (more money) And yes, it will be an above ground pool. Is it simply connecting the pump to the pool wall with the copper wire?
    14.6K gal., 24ft, 54" above ground. 2HP, 2speed Hayward pump (4psi low, 18psi hi), 150sqft cartridge filter. 4x20 solar panel (6 psi).

4. Back To Top    #4

Check the manual for the pool, it'll tell you where you have to bond it. Some steel wall pools only require bonding in one place as the entire wall is bonded by one connection. If all you have is the pool and pump you can just run a #8 awg wire between the pump and the pool wall somewhere. If you have a swcg, etc, then those will have to be connected to the bonding conductor too. Make sure that the pool installer installs the bonding lug(s) as they're installing the pool. You can run the wire later.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Check the manual for the pool, it'll tell you where you have to bond it. Some steel wall pools only require bonding in one place as the entire wall is bonded by one connection. If all you have is the pool and pump you can just run a #8 awg wire between the pump and the pool wall somewhere. If you have a swcg, etc, then those will have to be connected to the bonding conductor too. Make sure that the pool installer installs the bonding lug(s) as they're installing the pool. You can run the wire later.
    Ok, thanks. Ya, for now, it will be the pump and pool only. "Make sure that the pool installer installs the bonding lugs." Umm, why didn't I just think of that, lol. Thanks. I have just been trying to have it all figured out before it actually happens.

6. Back To Top    #6

I just went through the same thing. Had a new AG pool installed a few weeks ago. I did the electrical myself and according to the 2008 NEC code, I had to run a #8 copper wire all the way around the pool and it needed to connect to 4 different points around the pool. Then I had to install a metal water bond fitting which has a lug attached to it. One end of the #8 bonding wire connects to this and the other end goes to the motor. This is what my local inspector recquired.
    24X52 AG..Hayward DE 1HP pump..Intellichlor IC15

7. Back To Top    #7

I have one continues #8 wire attached to my pump and then bonded to the pool and running back to my panel box and grounded there.
    Dough Boy 12' x 24' Oval
    Wedding Cake Steps
    1500 SF Timber Tech Composite Decking

Video of my pool and retaining wall....Above Ground Pool Ideas - YouTube

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
    I just went through the same thing. Had a new AG pool installed a few weeks ago. I did the electrical myself and according to the 2008 NEC code, I had to run a #8 copper wire all the way around the pool and it needed to connect to 4 different points around the pool. Then I had to install a metal water bond fitting which has a lug attached to it. One end of the #8 bonding wire connects to this and the other end goes to the motor. This is what my local inspector recquired.
    This is what our electrical inspector wanted to see as well.
    Currently Pooless

Former Pool:Buster Crabbe resin and steel 30'x15' oval 52" ABG pool Pentair sand dollar filter 1.5 Pentair Dynamo pump13,500 gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

Is it necessary to bond an all resin above ground pool?
    The pool I will be installing is an all resin except for 4
    stainless screws holding the cap on each upright.

Thanks,
    Stan
    18 X 54 Vogue Revelation AGP
    Goldline Aqua Trol SWCG
    Hayward 100 Sq. Ft. Cartridge System
    w/1-HP Matrix Pump
    Pool Rover Jr. (best investment I've
    made for the pool.)

10. Back To Top    #10

I realize the wall is metal. So how do I bond the wall?

Thanks,
    Stan
    Goldline Aqua Trol SWCG
    w/1-HP Matrix Pump
    made for the pool.)

11. Back To Top    #11

My pool is all resin as well and I was told I needed to bond it. Since there is a layer of sand that the liner sits on you can drill a small hole through the metal wall without damaging the liner. I dug under the plastic track until I could feel the back of the metal wall and got a bonding lug and a brass screw/nut and drilled a small hole through the wall. The lug will sit on the outside of the pool wall on top of the track. I scraped the area where the lug contacted the wall so there was metal to metal contact. Then the whole thing needs to be buried a few inches. There may be another way but that's what I did and I passed inspection.

12. Back To Top    #12

Yup, you need to bond the metal wall...see below pic..make sure to have your installer attach a bonding lug to one of the screws holding the wall together. In my case, I was able to push the wall back some before it was completely full and get it attached. Ran #8 wire from that lug to my pump. The Bonding wire does not and should not be run back to the panel or grounded.

24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks Lone Wolf and thanks dmanb2b for the pic.
    Installing a bonding lug to the wall where it joins
    together seems like the way to go.

Stan
    Goldline Aqua Trol SWCG
    w/1-HP Matrix Pump
    made for the pool.)

14. Back To Top    #14

The wall is definitely the best but I was told I needed to be connected at 4 points so if I did the single lug only I would have failed.

15. Back To Top    #15

Different inspectors interpret the rules differently. My reading of the rules says only a single connection is required for an above ground pool, but if your inspector says four, it is a much better idea to put in four connections than to try and argue with the inspector.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

Yea I agree..every inspector is different..I tried to get away with the single point but he handed me the code and highlighted where it said "4" points...lol...guess that was my subtle hint