Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Autopilot Cell Life

1. Back To Top    #1

Autopilot Cell Life

My Autopilot Digital DIG-220 amp-hr counter indicates my SC-60 cell now has 15133 amp-hrs. Cell visual appears like new with all blades the same length and no deposits. My question is, what is the rated cell life? When I bought the unit it came with a flat 5 yr warranty, but I have read in some posts 10000 hrs and others it was 10000 amp-hrs.

Should I be buying a replacement cell now so I do not get caught with a sudden failure? What is the rated amp-hrs and is there something specific I should look at to anticipate cell end of life?

I am meticulous about water chemistry and balance. This season will be season 4 on the autopilot and my seasons are typically 5 months of SWG run time at 10-12hr per day with a 40-50% settings (today it was 25% since still cold out).
    Don SW Florida
    10,000 gal in ground concrete pool
    Pentair Cartridge filter, Pentair SWG, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump (11018)
    FAFCO solar panels w/Pentair SolarTouch controller
    using BBB for pool chemistry/Lamotte ColorQ tester for daily testing

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Autopilot Cell Life

I don't think that AutoPilot officially specifies the cell life time, other than the warranty coverage. Still, the cell life should be somewhere around 10,000+ hours turned on, or somewhere in the vicinity of 60,000 to 90,000 amp hours.

Your cell should have a number of years left in it yet. I wouldn't worry about getting a new cell until there are some signs of the cell aging.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Autopilot Cell Life

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    I don't think that AutoPilot officially specifies the cell life time, other than the warranty coverage. Still, the cell life should be somewhere around 10,000+ hours turned on, or somewhere in the vicinity of 60,000 to 90,000 amp hours.

Your cell should have a number of years left in it yet. I wouldn't worry about getting a new cell until there are some signs of the cell aging.
    Thanks Jason-good info that typical SWG cell is 10,000hrs NOT amp-hrs. Since my amp-hr reading on the Autopilot is 15,000 amp-hrs and my amps are usually 5 amps, it looks like I have only 3000 hrs on my cell after 3 pool seasons. I oversized the cell for my pool so I usually run it at low power and low percentage settings
    Don SW Florida
    10,000 gal in ground concrete pool
    Pentair Cartridge filter, Pentair SWG, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump (11018)
    FAFCO solar panels w/Pentair SolarTouch controller
    using BBB for pool chemistry/Lamotte ColorQ tester for daily testing