Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Kool Deck Refinish Challenge

1. Back To Top    #1

Kool Deck Refinish Challenge

I purchased a home with a Kool Deck. Like many 10+ year old surfaces, it looks grungy, dirty and cracked. I am going to paint it, possibly with Systex paint from Mortex. My challenge is that the deck is designed with a crossing line pattern made of ceramic tiles. These are worse than the dirty look of the Kool Deck: my kids are constantly slipping on the ceramic tiles. Since I am going to recoat the Kool Deck, I would like to paint right over the tiles, too. But the Systex paint web site states, "when applied to your Kool Deck surface, the area will become hotter and slicker." Just the opposite effect I'm hoping for.

Two questions. First, does anyone know a deck surface paint that will adhere well to ceramic tiles? Second, does anyone know a good deck paint that has non-skid properties?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Kool Deck Refinish Challenge

Can't help you there, but I don't think that painting over kool deck would be very effective. I bet it would continue chipping and flaking, just now with paint attached to one side of the flakes.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

North Port, FL.

I'll agree with Melt In The Sun. Im no pool deck expert but id think its similar to ANYTHING you PAINT. its only going to be as good as its foundation. If its peeling/cracking etc. Then you put something over that. Its just going to adher to whats pulling up and will eventually do the same.
    12x27 pebble tec , Hayward 1hp pump / Hayward Star Cleaner +(MD# C900) / Pentair MD#320 auto inline CF

4. Back To Top    #4

I appreciate the feedback. I went back outside and looked closer. What's peeling away right now is the prior paint job, not the Kool Deck itself. I plan on scraping and blasting away the old paint and grime that is worked down into the decking. Aside from a few odd corners, I'm happy the deck itself is solid.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have painted over my Kool deck after repairs from hail. If it is properly prepped there isn't any pealing.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE 2x2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

6. Back To Top    #6

My pool deck is called "Spray Deck". It is similar to Kool Deck. It is 6 years old and chipping badly,in addition to cracks. I was told to buy Concrete Stain...not paint. Before we begin I would like some advice from anyone who has experience with this please. thanks!
    Cary, NC

25,000 gal
    SWG Aqua Rite T-Cell
    IG plaster
    Pentair 1.5 Whisper Flo Pump
    Stay Rite Filter System 3 Mod Media 300 sq. ft
    Heater- Stay Rite Max E-therm 400K
    Polaris 3/4 hp