swamp water on pool cover

Apr 4, 2009
Central Jersey
We have an above ground 18'x33' pool. The winter cover has a lot of leaves and brown water on it. When we tried to pump the water off the level of the water inside the pool went down. The only explanation I can come up with for this is that there is a tear (or tears) in the cover. The problem now is getting the cover off without dumping all of that swampy water into the pool. Any suggestions?

If you can get an idea of where the tear in the cover is, you can probably lift up the edges of the cover and move the water over towards the other side of the cover and pump it out from there. If you can not locate the tear, or if it is very extensive, it probably won't be possible to remove the cover without dumping the water into the pool.

Last year when our cover did not make it through the winter, I dumped a jug of bleach in the "swamp" water and stirred things up real good with my leafnet and pole. Let the bleach do it's magic and spent 15 mins scooping the goop with the leaf net. Once most of it was off I then pulled the cover off as much as I could. Left with 100 or so gallons in one corner of the pool, I grabbed a one gal bucket and started scooping. In the end about 2 gals or so of the murky stuff still fell in, but not bad as just dumping all the gunk in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.