New pump for Intex?

Aug 13, 2010
St.Louis, MO
Late last summer we bought a small (12' x 30") Intex pool. That probably sounds like a baby pool to most of you, but it was a perfect size for us and we loved having a pool and the easy BBB method. The filter/pump that came with it did a good job last year, but it was a short season and I think we kept it running 24x7. We have a small child who will probably have an 'accident' at some point this year. I would like to upgrade so if/when that happens, we can get back in the pool sooner. I'm looking for the easiest, most economical pump (aren't we all) that is up to the task. Can anyone recommend the appropriate size of what I should buy? Thanks in advance!

Okay I found a 1600 GHP Intex sand filter. Seems to run about $149 online. (Keep in mind we only paid $98 plus shipping for the pool and cartridge filter pump).
Here's a link --- http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_87 ... 73EG.html#
Since our 12' pool only has 1718 gallons, we should only need to run this less than an hour and a half a day, right? Seems this would be more than big enough for our current pool and even allow us to move to up to an 18' pool some year. I really don't envision us going much bigger than that unless we move someday.
Is this unit all we need? Any concerns with this? The SWG option would be nice, but no extra $$ for it this year. Thanks!

Hi - we have 12'x 36" Summer Escapes pool also with the small skimmer/filter pump with cartridge. Also looking for a better pump system so thanks so much for the info you found. I may be ordering that one also. If you do buy it, let me know how it works please? Thanks much, Julie

dewdrop519, you should be fine with that filter. That is the one I meant.

JulieLeo, depending on your budget, you might want to look at the Intex sand filters with slightly larger pumps. With the larger pool getting a larger pump/filter has advantages.

Thanks Jason. This is what I'll order then. Julie, your pool is just a bit larger than hours - both are 12', but yours is 36" deep and we went with the 30". I'm going to check around a bit more for the best price price in stores, or online with shipping. It may be a few weeks before we get it and get it installed but I'll post on how it goes.

Dew -- do you have a Intex or a Summer Escapes pool? Mine is a Summer Escapes but it looks just like an Intex. I'm just wondering if the Intex sand filter hook ups fit on the Summer Escapes pools. I've written to the mfgr to ask but no reply yet. Will also be looking for a larger pump too since my pool holds about 2100 gals and the vacuum isn't catching all the sand and stuff at the bottom in little net bag or make a cheesecloth bag see if that works better. Yes -- will be a few weeks for us too...between 3 graduations, two weddings, 4 birthdays...I have no more checks and my debit card is in reject - mode! :shock:

I have an Intex pool. I think I read that Intex pools have nonstandard connections, but adapters are available. Don't quote me on that though. We're not swimming in our pool yet. St. Louis area is still a bit cool and rainy, although we have had a couple days around 90. My husband put the pool up and filled it last night though so we're optimistic!

Yep- it's been like late October weather here -- low 60s are the high and low 40s for lows in the water is freezing! We've got the water stablized and it's supposed to be much warmer the next few days so we're hoping we can swim this weekend. :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does your Summer Escapes have a skimmer? Mine does and I had to do some interesting plumbing to make the fittings work when we upgraded the pump and filter. I used the motor housing but we took out the impeller to improve the water flow. It works but isn't the best option. I found an adapter somewhere online last year but I couldn't find it this year when I went to order it.

JulieLeo said:
Yes we have the skimmer / filter. Please let me know if you find out where you found the adapter.

I finally found it.
http://www.calsplash.com/summer-escapes ... n-kit.html
Order Online or Call Toll Free: 1-866-490-0170

Fair warning, something at that site set off my antivirus software. I was using Norton's last year with no problems. I'm using Avast now and it went nuts and warned me that it blocked a malicious script in the website.

I called them last year to ask a few questions. They were great about answering anything I came up with. I probably will order it and install it when we winterize it. I hate the thoughts of wasting water installing it especially since I've got it balanced now.

JulieLeo-

I have a Summer Escapes 16'x42".

I just spent 350.00 on an Intex SWG and Sunshine 1600gph sand filter. I opened the boxes moments ago only to find that none of the fittings/adapters match our type of pool. I have searched online and don't know if that adapter will be the cure all that we are looking for.

It 'looks' like THIS ONE might be what we need.
http://www.calsplash.com/threaded-filter-hose-adapter.html

Right now I am fed up with this thing. It has cost me more to up-keep and in parts than it has been worth. I only keep it going for my S.O.

Unless someone knows for certain, or knows of a way to hook all this stuff together without draining the pool and actually cutting the sidewalls to fit the intex plunger stop-valves.

OK, If you want to replace the Filter/Skimmer deal with the Intex SWG and or sand filter from Sunshine or elsewhere then the SWG comes with a single(ONE) hose adapter called (Hose adapter A1) or P/N 10849 available below. (You will need a second one to hook to the 1 1/4 hose fitting of the Summer Escapes.

Here--> http://www.intexstore.com/ProductDetails.aspx?from=search&ProductID=253 and still use the old hoses.

Otherwise the part that 1wisemom listed will fit into the pump housing where the motor goes and you still use it. (Mine the top large o-ring is starting to seep too, so I want to omit it.)

I am seriously thinking about draining my pool and cutting out the holes to fit the Intex plunger shut-off valves. This will make it so much easier in the long run. The only thing is that I already balanced everything and I would have to start over.

Has anyone successfully cut out the holes with the pool still filled? (yeah right) :)

I may be able to post pics tomorrow or start a new thread of my endeavor.

I'm also thinking about cutting the liner to install the larger fittings with a full pool. I just got the 633 cartridge filter pump and the SWG for my 12'x36" Easy Set. From all that I've read on this site, it is quite easy to cut and install the new fittings. I've found threads where people simply cut the holes and hurried to throw in the new fittings without substantial loss.

This is a hybrid of most promising methods and is a two person job. It involves:
- first removing the in-the-pool strainer and/or return fitting,
- then having your helper hold a "flat rimmed bowl" over the inside 1 1/4" black tube in the pool. When you remove the exterior hose, you should, theoretically, only lose the amount of water contained in the bowl.
- Then, using the rubber washer from the new 1.5" fitting as a template, trace a circle with a sharpie of the inside diameter of the new hole (presumably 1.5") you are going to cut in the liner.
- Take a deep, confidence inspiring breath and cut this out (will obviously include the existing black tube) with an exacto knife, razor blade or utility knife.
- Place your new fitting into/around the new hole with your rubber washer
-Now the quick hands part: Pull the bowl and thread on the new interior fitting (strainer/return).

If the posters on this forum are to be trusted, then it can be done with the loss of only a couple of gallons of water.

I am absolutely no expert, just repeating what I've read. I am hoping to get this done this weekend. I'll post how it goes.

-*- Thanks to Comawhite for the flat rimmed bowl and a confidnence inspiring explanation of how to do it, and Racerboy for posting a successful and uneventful "cutting my intex pool" thread. -*-

I have been researching this topic and trying to get the guts to do it. Please can you tell me how it went for you - last year it looks like.

I have an Intex framed, vinyl liner 12' round 30" deep (wishing we could fit something bigger). Currently using intex filter 637r and swcg. I want to upgrade to intex 635t but of course it doesnt fit the outlets. I bought "adapters" but even if I could figure out how to make them work, they are very obtrusive in the pool.

Cutting the outlets sounds appealing yet very scary. My pool also is filled and balanced. Would love to hear your experience with making the adjustment. thank you!

Thank you also for this forum. I have learned a lot especially about chemical balance. Wish I found y'all last year!

Pappyclan.
It want SHOCKINGLY well! I had the parts sitting there and just did it one day, wi not much more forethought than the previous post. Just take a deep breath and cut. You'll be happy you did.

I even performed the surgery with the pool full. I followed the directions I posted. I used a sharpie to mark the hole, and a single sided razor blade to cut. Another piece of advice I gleaned at the last minute was to make sue the hole is big enough. My instinct was to cut it as tight as possible; but smarter people than I pointed out that too tight a fit will create creases and stress in the freshly cut liner leading to leaks and headaches. Cut the hole with a little bit of room to spare around the fitting. (1/8"?) the rubber gasket seals it perfectly.

It was a new pool after the modification. I went with the larger pump and the salt water chlorinator. HUGE improvement in pool cleanliness and performance.

Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.