Hayward 1.5hp Super Pump replacement

spiazza

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 20, 2009
Berkeley Heights, NJ
Looking for suggestions...

I opened my pool yesterday. My Hayward Super Pump 1.5hp pump wouldn't start. Humming. This happened last year. It's due to the bearings being locked up during the long winter. I was able to get it going after taking the unit apart and manually getting the motor to spin. Pump was installed in 2004.

The issue now is that the motor is horribly loud. I ran it for 12 hours and it sounds like a jet plane is in my backyard. Feeling bad for the neighbors.

Needless to say, I need to replace the pump. Heard its not worth paying someone to replace the bearings. True?

If replacing the entire unit is the best open, should I get the same type/model? I'm really looking for a quiet, energy efficient pump. I've heard of the 2 stage and the variable but don't know much about them. I typically run the pump 8hrs a day. We use a SWG for chlorination.

I appreciate any help you can give. I've given up on running the old pump due to the noise the further damage its doing to the unit. I'd like to get the new pump in the next day or so I can get my pool clean and ready for the season.

Many people don't bother replacing bearings, but it is actually quite affordable if you do a little work yourself. Find a motor repair shop and they will be happy to do it for a very reasonable price if you dismount the motor and reinstall it yourself. Whichever way you go, you need to replace the {EDIT}shaft seal{/EDIT} when you install the new/re-built motor.

If you do replace the motor, it is well worth it to find a two speed motor. You can save a great deal on electricity by running a two speed on low for twice as long. Low speed is also quieter.

I've done very little work with the motor other than taking it apart to get the shaft to move after the bearings locked up. I'm not familiar with replacing the seal plate.

I'll look into the 2 speed motor. My concern was the cost benefit of running the unit longer at a low speed vs. running it shorter at a higher speed. Especially since I use a SWG.

My other concern is how do i know how much HP I need to properly pump water to and from the pool. The pump is approx 30 - 40 feet from the intake and returns of the pool. Will running the motor on low at 1hp or 1/2hp be enough power to move the water around the system?

A 1/2 HP WhisperFlo is enough, but the WhisperFlo is a more efficient pump than most. For most other models you would want a 3/4 HP. You are still better off with a two speed. Even a 1 HP two speed on low is more efficient than a 1/2 HP single speed.

Thanks Jason. I'll look into whisperflo and other 2-speed pumps. They are more costly than a single speed but in the long run it will save on energy costs.

Should I be concerned with two speed pump running on low as it pertains to my polaris pool cleaner? I have a separate pump for the cleaner.

Jason - Why does the seal plate needs to be replaced with new motor? I spoke to a pool co. today when quoting out a price for a motor and they said a new plate is not required unless original is damaged. Gaskets, o-rings, shaft seal etc. would be changed. Should I not trust them?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.