Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Sta-rite 1.5 hp pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Sta-rite 1.5 hp pump

I was just reading another threat about high electric bills and pool pump run time and speed settings.

My bill is FPL and when running pool and A/C the bill is around $200 a month.Is there a way that I can turn my single speed pump into a 2 speed or variable speed? The pump actually uses morejuice than my A/C does.It would be nice to lower the bill.
    11000 gal L shaped gunite pool with and aggragate plaster
    Pentair cartridge filtration with 1.5 hp pump
    only have 3 returns and one dedicated vacuum line
    manifold to pump is three valve

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Sta-rite 1.5 hp pump

The cheapest and easiest solution would be to replace the impeller (and possibly the diffuser) with a 3/4 hp impeller. That would allow your pump to run cooler and use less power by reducing the workload by reducing the flow rate. Other than that, you would need to go to a two speed or variable speed pump.

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/DuraGlasOM.pdf

3. Back To Top    #3

There must be some sort of conversion kit that can turn this pump into 2 speed or variable speed........What about an external speed dial...kind of like an electrical throttle?

I'm not flush enough to drop $800 - $1200 on a new pump
    11000 gal L shaped gunite pool with and aggragate plaster
    Pentair cartridge filtration with 1.5 hp pump
    only have 3 returns and one dedicated vacuum line
    manifold to pump is three valve

4. Back To Top    #4

If your motor is a single phase Permanent Split Capacitor induction motor, then you might be able to use a 220V Optidrive E2 to control the motor speed. If it is an A.O Smith motor, the motor "Type" might be listed as "CX", which would indicate a PSC (Permanent Split Capacitor) switchless design. However, the cost of the controller ($525.00 list) is more than buying a new motor and impeller.

http://www.anaconsystems.com/text/opti_e2.html

http://www.anaconsystems.com/data/opti_e2.pdf

5. Back To Top    #5

You can always change out the motor, leaving the rest of the pump in place. Two speed motors are available to fit almost any pump. You wan to get a motor that is the same HP on high speed and the same frame size.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

As Jason said, A simple motor change is the most cost effective way to get a 2-speed pump. Be sure to use the HP x SF to get the motor size. For instance, if you have a 1½ hp with a SF of 1, you could replace it with a 1 hp with a SF of 1.5.

You're going to have to take the pump apart to change it so be mindful of the o-rings and gaskets. Personally I'd change the shaft seal while I was in there.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

jaydar I would be interested in which way you went. I have considered replacing my 1.5hp Sta-rite with a 2 speed.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade