Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: trichlor and cya

1. Back To Top    #1

trichlor and cya

is there a good post/article here to show someone who never heard of CYA and why it's important to monitor? there is enough information on this forum to piece it all together, but i want a post or a link to an article that will describe the problems with using stabilized cholorine in details and all in one spot.

thank you.
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: trichlor and cya

Yes!

Go to Pool School (top right button on webpage).

Under Pool Chemistry, see 3rd item down: How to Chlorinate your pool. Once there, read everything, but Item #2 is exactly what you are looking for.

Good luck~~

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

3. Back To Top    #3

Lana,

I looked there and while it all what it is when it comes stabilized chlorine and CYA in one short paragraph, I'm looking for something different. Something that i can to show my father in law. he's had his pool for years and never heard of CYA. i want something more substantial then 1 paragraph to make him start thinking about it.

P.S. Lana happened to be the name of my 7 month old daughter
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

4. Back To Top    #4

Diver,

Your father in law might know CYA as stabilizer. Maybe.

Several decades ago I knew a family with an in-ground pool. I swam in that pool every summer for 15 years. Every year they opened that pool with dozens of jugs of Clorox and vigorous cleaning. They used floaters with tabs, and if ever things (rarely) got out of hand, the pool was given the multiple jugs of Clorox treatment. Everyone vacuumed; the pool looked clean always.

I don't recall ever seeing any sort of test kit. Luckily, no one got sick; nothing bad happened. They never bought anything from the pool store except for those floater tabs.

Maybe your father is a bit like these old friends of my parents. Some people want to know more; others couldn't care less.

Pool School states a simple fact quite simply. I don't know where better to refer you to. You enjoy your Trouble Free Pool!

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

5. Back To Top    #5

If he's never heard of cya.......he has certainly seen it listed on a report if he's ever had water tested at a pool store. If he's been using pucks..............the reason it doesn't ring a bell with him is because they've never had to sell him any because of using the pucks. Bet they've sold him a lot of other stuff to compensate for the problems it can cause though............just didn't explain to him WHY. If he's been told to shock his pool every couple of weeks or so, the CYA level is most likely why they told him that.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Try this article / post from the Further Reading section of the Pool School - Advanced Pool Water Chemistry. Be forewarned - it gets a little deep.

pool-water-chemistry-t628.html
    20,125 gal. (2,690.6 c.f.) In-Ground / Concrete (Gunite) / Pentair Tagelus TA-60-60D Sand Filter / Pentair Whisper Flo Pump Model WF-24 @ 1HP / Hayward Veri-Flo Valve Model 710 / Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit / Pool School student