Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sticking and Humming Pentair Whisperflow pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Sticking and Humming Pentair Whisperflow pump

I have a 2.5 HP Pentair pump that will not start on its own. It hums and if I turn the shaft with a wrench eventually it will slowly turn and start, runs fine from that point on. I have cleaned the impellor, very little debris. I need to repeat process everyday to get the pump going. After reading many threads on this issue, I suspect, bad capacitor, however, should the shaft require a wrench to turn? I cannot turn the shaft with my hand. Is it possible motor bearings are shot? If motor capacitor is problem, where can I find the part? Pentair only sells as an assembly. Thanks for any thoughts/guidance!!
    13,000 Gallon, 12x30 Gunite/Plaster with 5x6 attached Spa
    Pentair 2.5 HP Pump, Pentair .75 hp Booster for Cleaner
    Pentair Triton II TR100 74GPM Sand Filter. Pentair Intellichlor LC40
    Sta Rite SR400 100K BTU/Hr Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sticking and Humming Pentair Whisperflow pump

Find a electric motor shop in your area. Depending how old your pump is you might be looking at a new one. There are motor shops out there that a reasonable though.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE 2x2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Sticking and Humming Pentair Whisperflow pump

The bearings are failing. Otherwise you would be able to easily turn the shaft by hand. You need to replace the bearings, or have someone else do it for you. As maxepr1, a motor shop will do this quickly and affordably.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School