baking soda vs washing soda

May 5, 2011
Western IL
The Pool Calculator recommends a value to add to raise PH using washing soda (sodium carbonate) I have a very large bag of sodium bicorbonate (baking soda) left over from the previous owner and am wondering about using that. It's my understanding that sodium carbonate is more caustic than sodium bicorbonate. So is there some way I can convert the figure for sodium carbonate into sodium bicarbonate untill the quantity I have is gone? Thanks

You could also use 20 Mule Team Borax to raise pH and The Pool Calculator will also tell you how much to use. Finally, if the pH is low and you don't want to raise the TA at all, you can aerate the water to raise the pH with no change in TA.

If your pH is consistently low, then you might need to raise the TA. I see that you list an in-line chlorinator. When using trichlor, you need a higher TA than when using bleach or a SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.