Newbie-Spillover spa

Hdhead

May 14, 2011
I just purchased a vacation home in Florida. I have never owned a pool. This pool has a spillover spa and I really have no idea what it is or does. Can anyone give me a basic understanding or point me to a website that at explains it? Thanks

I have a spillover and it is pretty simple. What kind of control panel do you have? Mine has an actuator that switches from pool to spa with a press of a button (common filter/pump). Once in "Spa" mode it no longer spills over and allows you to heat just the spa vs the entire pool. It takes about 20mins to heat the spa to 101.

As far as maintenance goes all I do is follow the BBB method that this site explains.

mr.rongilbert said:
I have a spillover and it is pretty simple. What kind of control panel do you have? Mine has an actuator that switches from pool to spa with a press of a button (common filter/pump). Once in "Spa" mode it no longer spills over and allows you to heat just the spa vs the entire pool. It takes about 20mins to heat the spa to 101.

As far as maintenance goes all I do is follow the BBB method that this site explains.

Thanks for the reply. I am closing on the home this coming week and really don't know any of the specifics about control panels. So I gather the spa is a hot tub attached to the pool, water circulation and heat can be controlled independently from the pool. Right?

Yes, very much like a hot tub. The spa shares water, pump, filter, heater, and most likely an automation system with the pool. It may also have it's own pump for the jets, or it might use the pool pump for that as well. Normally you run the pool with the spa spilling over into the pool so the water in the spa is constantly replenished form the pool. Then when you want to soak you change the settings so the equipment is all connected to only the spa and use the pool heater to heat it up to temperature. When you are done, you go back to sharing water with the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.