DE filter without multiport valve

May 13, 2011
Hi all,

I'm brand new to this site and to pool ownership. I'm just now trying to figure out how to open my pool for the summer. I ran the filter for a while and the pressure jumped from 10psi to about 20 after a few minutes, which isn't surprising since the pool was super dirty and green.

My problem is that I have a DE filter, but there's no multiport valve. It has a backwash hose but I don't see how I can backwash it without moving plumbing around, which doesn't sound very convenient. Perhaps I'm just missing something, but it appears that the pump output goes straight to the filter, with the backwash hose connected to the input port via a T joint. Here are some photos which may make it more clear:

5O6R6.jpg

eV2Lj.jpg

From what I've read, this is not a normal setup. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks much,
Adam.

It does seem somewhat unusual, I am not familiar with your DE filter, however I can tell you my current DE filter (A Hayward Perflex series) does not have a multi port valve, instead it is a dedicated drain fitting on the back of the filter (mine is plumbed to a cut off valve and drain pipe, but I think the filter came with just a plug in the hole even though they included a cut off valve).

Ike

Mine is a simple matter of opening the valve connected to the drain port, I also close the Solar heat, and Solar Heat bypass valve that I have downstream on the output side as a added measure. I suspect just opening the drain port valve would work though.

Mine filter can be seen in this photo, waste valve is hidden behind the filter just below the pump timer a tiny part of the PVC elbow fitting going through the back wall can be seen to the right of the pressure gauge.
download/file.php?id=6908&t=1

Without a multiport valve you will not be able to backwash the filter. My DE filter also does not have a multiport valve. There is a knob on top of my filter that is used to "bump" the grids. Bumping knocks off some of the dirty DE that clings to the grids, allowing it to re-coat the grids, allegedly with "cleaner" DE. Bumping usually knocks the pressure down about 5 pts but it is a matter of hours before the pressure is right back where it was.

I have shut off valves just before the pump and just after the filter. When it is time to clean the grids I turn both valves off, open the air bleed valve, and drain the filter using a waste/backwash hose. When the water is drained I take off the top, pull out the grids, hose them off well, hose out the inside of the filter well and put it all back together. Open the valves, fill the filter, close the air bleeder, and turn on the pump and then its ready to add fresh DE.

When you are clearing a swampy pool with a DE filter you will have to clean it several times during the shock process.

The writing on the filter was very faded, but I finally figured out that I have a Titan Vertical Grid filter. It says "American Products" on it but apparently now Pentair owns that line.

From what you're saying, Zea3, that sounds like exactly my configuration. Having to take it all apart sounds really inconvenient, but I guess that's life. I don't appear to have a knob or whatever to bump it, so I guess I'll be doing this entirely manually.

Thanks much for the input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.