Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG starting chemistry...

1. Back To Top    #1

Southeast Missouri

SWG starting chemistry...

Hi All, Opening the pool tomorrow with my new SWG.

In Pool School it mentions to add salt as the first step. Should I balance the water first to make sure everything is in line before turning on the SWG? I know I will need to add quite a bit of CYA since I lost about half my water this winter and had to refill and it will take about a week for the CYA to dissolve. Should I stay with bleach until I get the CYA back up to 70-80? No idea yet where TA, pH, or CH is at this time until I get the cover off and run the pump for a few hours.
    Dave in Sikeston, Mo.
    27' AG, 16K, vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, Pentair Meteor sand filter, Hayward Aqua Rite 25K SWG, Pentair E-Z Vac cleaner, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: SWG starting chemistry...

Balance the water first and keep your FC level topped off with liquid chlorine until your SWG is up to speed. They do a great job maintaining FC but can be very slow getting there, which may allow algae to take hold. You will want to follow the recommended levels listed here to keep your pool in great shape.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!