Chlorine consumption??

budysr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Pensacola
I know this is really a question with a lot of answers depending on many things but about how much FC should the pool be consuming per day? This is assuming a sunny day(upper 80's), low humidity, some evaporation, no swimmers, and an unknown CYA level(pool store says 41ppm, my black dot test at home doesn't register any CYA--and I did add enough cya back in august to have at least 30ppm) The water looks great, very clear and no algae or any discoloration.
Seems like this week the pool has been using around 2ppm of FC and for some reason I was thinking it should be closer to around 1ppm per day? Maybe my CYA really is lower than the pool store test?

Yeah, I'm with John. 2ppm is maybe on the good side of average. I lose about 2-3ppm in a full Sun pool. You obviously have CYA in your pool or your Cl loss would be w-a-a-a-y higher.

Not sure why your CYA home test won't register.....they're normally more accurate than the pool store.

It depends on your residual level as well. A pool at 4 ppm will lose more chlorine than one at 2 ppm.

At 45 ppm CYA, I lost about 50% of the chlorine every day. So 2 ppm chlorine loss would be typical of a 4 ppm residual.

I'm in Miami and I lose about 2ppm a day with 40 CYA and keeping the pool at 4ppm during hot, sunny days. I agree with Mas that the more chlorine the faster it gets used up. I suggest keeping a log if you really want to know how your pool reacts. I expect 2ppm everyday, but sometimes I don't lose any eventhough nothing has changed from 1 day to the other. That is why I still test everyday and lately I'll skip a day on purpose to see what happens.

Makes sense then. I guess my water is ok then. The weather here has been very dry and sunny all week. Low humidity which is not the norm here in Pensacola, FL. I wonder if the sunny dry air contributes to a little more consumption. I believe the pool water seems to evaporate a little more quickly with this weather pattern.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.