Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine consumption??

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine consumption??

I know this is really a question with a lot of answers depending on many things but about how much FC should the pool be consuming per day? This is assuming a sunny day(upper 80's), low humidity, some evaporation, no swimmers, and an unknown CYA level(pool store says 41ppm, my black dot test at home doesn't register any CYA--and I did add enough cya back in august to have at least 30ppm) The water looks great, very clear and no algae or any discoloration.
    Seems like this week the pool has been using around 2ppm of FC and for some reason I was thinking it should be closer to around 1ppm per day? Maybe my CYA really is lower than the pool store test?
    24' AGP vinyl, 3/4hp Pentair 2-speed, Pentair Quad DE 60
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2
    2ppm is very reasonable.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Yeah, I'm with John. 2ppm is maybe on the good side of average. I lose about 2-3ppm in a full Sun pool. You obviously have CYA in your pool or your Cl loss would be w-a-a-a-y higher.

Not sure why your CYA home test won't register.....they're normally more accurate than the pool store.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    It depends on your residual level as well. A pool at 4 ppm will lose more chlorine than one at 2 ppm.

At 45 ppm CYA, I lost about 50% of the chlorine every day. So 2 ppm chlorine loss would be typical of a 4 ppm residual.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5
    I'm in Miami and I lose about 2ppm a day with 40 CYA and keeping the pool at 4ppm during hot, sunny days. I agree with Mas that the more chlorine the faster it gets used up. I suggest keeping a log if you really want to know how your pool reacts. I expect 2ppm everyday, but sometimes I don't lose any eventhough nothing has changed from 1 day to the other. That is why I still test everyday and lately I'll skip a day on purpose to see what happens.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

6. Back To Top    #6

Makes sense then. I guess my water is ok then. The weather here has been very dry and sunny all week. Low humidity which is not the norm here in Pensacola, FL. I wonder if the sunny dry air contributes to a little more consumption. I believe the pool water seems to evaporate a little more quickly with this weather pattern.
    24' AGP vinyl, 3/4hp Pentair 2-speed, Pentair Quad DE 60
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100