Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should the test kit be replaced each year?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should the test kit be replaced each year?

I purchased the TFP test kit last year. Is it still good?
    5061 Gallons
    Cartridge Filter
    AG Intex 16' x 48" Ultra Frame
    1,500gph (5,678 L/hr.) filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should the test kit be replaced each year?

I bought my TF-100 last year and didn't have any issues this year. I also kept my kit in my house away from any extreme temps cold or hot. The chemicals should be fine.
    Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

3. Back To Top    #3

Officially, Taylor says that the reagents should be replaced every year. In practice they will last several years as long as you store them properly. The main thing is to keep the reagents cool but never frozen, with relatively stable temperatures, and don't leave them out in the sunlight for very long.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Great thanks! I've had it stored in a kitchen cabinet so my sense is that it should be in good shape.
    5061 Gallons
    Cartridge Filter
    AG Intex 16' x 48" Ultra Frame
    1,500gph (5,678 L/hr.) filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Does this apply to all of the chemicals in the Test Kit?

My test kit was also stored in a kitchen cabinet. Today, I was going to do the first chlorine test for the season, but I opened the R-0870 DPD Powder and it was dirty looking (almost grey, surely not white). I used one scoop of powder for the test, but the water didn't turn pink. I finally had to use 3 scoops for it to turn pink. By then I didn't trust the results, so I ordered some new R-0870.
    21K gallon, 16 x32 IG Vinyl, 3/4 HP Hayward Superpump,
    200 lbs Sand filter, Full sun all day

6. Back To Top    #6

This link gives some indications of when a reagent is compromised. I would say a reasonable rule is the following for reagents that have been opened and are stored in room temperature conditions away from sunlight. Others can make comments since some of this is subjective. Taylor generally recommends replacement after 1 year.

1-year (maybe 2, but check condition; sensitive to moisture and heat)
    R-0870 DPD powder (N,N-Diethyl-p-phenylene-diamine sulfate, EDTA, phosphate buffer)

probably 2 years but most of these are sensitive to heat; FAS-DPD is sensitive to light as well
    R-0871 FAS-DPD titrating reagent (ferrous ammonium sulfate)
    R-0004 pH indicator (K-2006; phenol red organic dye and chlorine neutralizers)
    R-0014 pH indicator (K-1000; TF-100; phenol red organic dye and chlorine neutralizers)
    R-0600 OTO indicator (K-1000; TF-100; organic dye)
    R-0008 TA indicator (organic dye)
    R-0011L calcium indicator (organic dye)
    R-0007 thiosulfate chlorine neutralizer (sodium thiosulfate)
    R-0012 hardness reagent (EDTA) -- published shelf-life 18-48 months
    R-0003 DPD reagent #3 (CC test; potassium iodide) -- sunlight plus oxygen oxidizes it

3 years or more
    R-0005 acid demand (sulfuric acid)
    R-0006 base demand (sodium carbonate)
    R-0009 sulfuric acid titrating reagent (sulfuric acid)
    R-0010 calcium buffer (sodium hydroxide high pH buffer)
    R-0013 CYA reagent (melamine in a low pH buffer)
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Am I correct in reading that heat, even out of direct sunlight, is a problem? I was planning to store my test kit along with my chemicals in a deck box on my patio in a shaded area, so they would be protected from sun in the box and also be in a shaded area so it won't get extremely hot, but here in SE Florida, it gets pretty hot and humid in the summer. Is it safe to store them in the deck box or should I keep them in the house? Thanks!
    15x30 inground concrete pool w/spa and spillover, all under screen enclosure
    Hayward C1200 StarClear Plus Cartridge Filter and Hayward Navigator V-Flex
    Jandy AquaPure 1400, Laars LX400 propane heater w/120 gal above-ground tank
    Jandy VS FloPro 2.7 HP Pump VSFHP270JEP; FlowVis FV-C Flow Meter
    Jandy iAquaLink and OneTouch controller w/PDA remotes; JVA for draining pool

8. Back To Top    #8

You are correct in that heat and light can shorten the reagents life. Store the kit inside in a dark dry cabinet or closet.

Take your water sample, bring it inside, sit at your kitchen table and do your tests.

Well, that's what many of us do, anyway.

btw, (deckbox reminded me) as a reminder to all, do not store muriatic acid and chlorine products together.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!