Buying AGP package, but comes with a Nature 2 Sanitizer

Apr 22, 2011
Ohio
Buying a 24ft AGP.

Ok, I have been reading up on the Nature 2, and it seems like most people hate this system. I think it also comes with a chlorine canister, that is inline, instead of using a floater (Has a valve to control amount of chlorine that is released. I know most will say to use liquid chlorine, and add some daily, but what is the alternative? Should I really push them to take the Nature 2 device from the package and try to get slight reduction in the price? Would I then still use the inline chlorine canister and use a good testing kit and go from there?

I REALLY like the idea of salt water, especially since many people say the cheaper Intex device could handle the 24ft pool. It's just that all the shops use such scare tactics and say how corrosive it can be and it will in fact, void the lifetime warranty of the new pool. (One shop did say, that If I chose to use a SWG, and something came up where I needed them to come out to determine a warranty issue, that if I took the SWG off before they got there, how would they know that I used one? wink, wink. Sounds logical, but ummm, can they tell if I did do that?

I am reading up on the pool school section and such, and welcome any other advice.

All somebody has to do is stick a salt water test strip in the water to blow that warranty theory. And you're right, most here do not care for the Nature 2. You might try to swap it for some pool accessories and come out ahead instead of reducing the price (if they will). You can keep the tab canister, plumb it in, and use it when you're away to chlorinate the pool.

A good testing kit is a must for anyone with a pool so I would get that regardless.

As for the Nature 2 system, you won't find many positive comments about that system so It would be up to you if you want to use it or not. I would try and get some money off of the kit if it were me.

The drawback to use the chlorine canister is that while the pucks do add chlorine they also add CYA to the water. Over time CYA builds up and it become harder to clear a pool that has any algae issues.

The salt level we maintain in our pools isn't enough to cause any concern about corrosion to the equipment. The only way I would think for them to know you use a SWG is if they test the water for salt. Then you can tell them you added salt for the "Feel" of the water. But having any salt in the pool, they might not warranty the pool.

:cheers:

Is the only real thing the Nature 2 device does, is let you use less chlorine?? So you save money on chlorine, but you spend it and probably more on the cartridges? I guess I would like it if it actually reduces potential for stinging eyes and the smell, but I was told, by most people, that if the chlorine is at correct levels, you shouldn't have the bad smells anyways. My wife has dirty blond hair, but not naturally, lol. I would not want to be around if that somehow turns a green shade. Hmmm.

And about the salt water, I HATE the thought of voiding the warranty, that is the whole reason why I am building a retaining wall and leaving a gap in between. I rather fill the gap with dirt and have it look like it is half inground like many people have, but it voids the warranty. Then again, I can't, for the life of me, see the sides of a NEW pool, corroding after a few years, if it is NOT buried at all. I can't see what could go wrong with the new pool, that would involve corrosion. sigh. Maybe I will just try it without salt water the first year, and see how it goes from there. It is just SOOO tempting to get into it for $169.

EastKYGuy said:
You should read through "Pool School" to find out what really turns hair green. Hint; it's not the liquid chlorine.

There is a link to PS in my sig.

I have read thru pool school. I understand that copper is the reason for green hair, and not chlorine. Even my pool shop said so, surprisingly. This is why I am worried about using the Nature2. Although, the shop said the nature2 doesn't release that much copper at all though, and that shock that some people buy, has WAY more copper in those. (they sell 3 different kinds of shock, one has copper) Also, I am in Ohio, so we get only a few months a year to swim, so it seems a big waste to spend $80+ for a couple months on the Nature2 cart.

I do have a question though. Ok, I understand that chlorine tabs and such increase CYA, which builds up. And that alot of copper can do some nasty things. But when only running the pool for about 4 months a year, then draining it below skimmer for winter, will any of that REALLY matter? Will I really see a large buildup, since I will be changing out part of the water, and only be adding that stuff 4 months out of the year? (Especially if I open and close with liquid chlorine)

There is no way I would be able to keep up with adding liquid everyday. I thought about something like the liquidator, or even SWG, but again, more expense, and only 4 months out of the year used.

I am in NW MN and probably have less swim time than you. JMHO, but any of the mineral sanitizers are a waste of money and cannot properly sanitize a pool without an oxidizing agent anyways, read chlorine. Why bother then. Also, the CYA build up from pucks or granualized trichlor builds up FAST when using as the main sanitizer, you only drain about 1/3 for the winter, then start adding more CYA in your trichlor the next spring, and so on. It doesnt evaporate or go away. Soon you are doing way more work to keep it clean than adding a few cups of liquid a day. Why do you think so many small seasonal pool owners give up on their pools out of frustration? They were convinced by the store to keep dumping more and more trichlor in and it gets out of control before the end of summer. JMHO.

We used BBB for many years (great) then went to SWG(better.) I belive we are into year 5 now on SWG without corrosion issues.

NWMNMom said:
I am in NW MN and probably have less swim time than you. JMHO, but any of the mineral sanitizers are a waste of money and cannot properly sanitize a pool without an oxidizing agent anyways, read chlorine. Why bother then. Also, the CYA build up from pucks or granualized trichlor builds up FAST when using as the main sanitizer, you only drain about 1/3 for the winter, then start adding more CYA in your trichlor the next spring, and so on. It doesnt evaporate or go away. Soon you are doing way more work to keep it clean than adding a few cups of liquid a day. Why do you think so many small seasonal pool owners give up on their pools out of frustration? They were convinced by the store to keep dumping more and more trichlor in and it gets out of control before the end of summer. JMHO.

We used BBB for many years (great) then went to SWG(better.) I believe we are into year 5 now on SWG without corrosion issues.

I honestly doubt the shop will give us anything off the price if I tell them that I don't want the Nature2. I asked them about just using a chlor. dispenser, and not the Nature2 and they "HIGHLY" recommended against that, lol. I like the idea of just getting the intex SWG, since I heard good things on that. I guess I could ask to trade the Nature2 for a regular tab dispenser.

Thanks for all the advice. I finally talked them into giving me $200 off the package price. They took off the Nature2, and are getting me a plain chlorine dispenser. I plan to go SWG next summer. I don't feel like worrying about that till next season, since I will be getting a late start in the first place. (won't get installed for another 2 weeks or so)

I also got them to throw in a free solar cover reel. It is the kind that bolt onto the toprails. Well, I don't want to bolt anything to my new pool, and I hope I can figure a way to rig it up, off the pool's side. Now, I just gotta order the good test kit, gorilla pad, and solar heater!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.