Tarp on the ground enough for intex 24' ultraframe pool?

Apr 24, 2011
We leveled the ground with a sod cutter last week. We have hard ground that has rocks (most are about half the size of my fist and smaller). We picked out/up all the rocks we could find. Is a heavy duty tarp enough to go under the pool? We'll get sand if we have to, but it will be so much easier to use tarps!

My kids are loving riding their bikes round and round inside the leveled-off pool area....that hasn't changed the levelness of the area and neither are they wrecking because of rocks.

Do you recommend blocks (level with the ground) under the legs of these size pools?

Thanks for your help!

1- yes, i recommend blocks under legs to distribute weight more than the feet alone and prevent sinking- if you use 2 in pavers, bury them maybe 1/2 in the ground.
2- the rocks under the pool may hurt feet, as dirt around them settle with the weight of the water- I had a couple lumps in my prev Intex that were a pain!
The tarp is probably all needed to protect the pool liner/bottom, but would recommend 1-2 in sand layer for personal comfort (or maybe foam, I think some people around here use it underneath)

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Even though you have hard ground, you also say you have rocks. The tarp would help keep any grass from possibly growing through the liner but it won't really help with the smoothness of the pool floor. You will most likely still feel the rocks. I would use a little sand as a final smoothing of the ground before you put the tarp down. You will need to put some sort of paver/wood underneath the legs to keep the legs from sinking into the ground. The top of the paver/wood should be flush with the ground.

I just installed this same pool and I used sand for my floor. The link to my build is in my signature.

If the ground is hard you should not have to put any sand underneath the pavers. Depending on how big of pavers you use, the liner may or may not be on the paver. I used treated wood decking material cut into 24 6" pieces and the liner doesn't touch the wood.

Many folks have put styrofoam under there pools, helps with protection and comfort or the pool bottom and insulates the pool from the cold dirt. I have it under mine and the difference amazing. Would not go back to just the tarp or the tarp/sand ever.

I have only used the styrofoam from Menards/HomeDepot/Lowes.
Steps that I used to create my origninal pool area:
1. Choose area, use a can of marking paint to paint a circle 2' larger that your pool. ie 18' pool = a 20' circle.
2. Cut sod off and dispose of. (if you do not do this it rots and stinks terrible)
3. Attached a 4' level to a 10' 2" x 6" pegged to the middle of the circle.
4. Swing board in a circle trimming away any high spots and filling in any low spots.
5. Tamped entire area with a hand tamper. (lots of work, rent a plate compactor it goes alot faster and not as hard on the back and shoulders.)
6. Put down 1 1/2" or 2" styrofoam (the pink stuff). Tape the seams with Gorilla tape. Cover it all with a HD tarp. (don't use the tarp that they send with the pool, get a good HD one)
7. Setup pool, place 1 1/2" or 2" pavers/patio blocks under the legs.
8. Fill pool with 2-3" of water and smooth all wrinkles out.
9. Fill up the pool with the rest of the water.
10. Test water with your new TFTest kit (you did order one right?) use results on The Pool Calculator and add BBB (if needed) to your Pool.
ENJOY THE POOL!!!!
Mike
PS, I did eliminate a few steps. Like go to store buy beer. Go to store buy AsperCreme for the aching muscles. Go to store buy more beer. LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've read a lot about your styrofoam method and it sounds like a good idea. I just got the kids the 18 ultra frame and I've used a sod cutter to prep the area. I'm about 1-2 inches off level so I plan to till the dirt on the high side and level tomorrow. It's very solid black dirt with almost no give. Once it's leveled I plan to roll and tamp it. Next I plan to lay styrofoam with gorilla taped seams. My main questions are why the need for a tarp over that and how do I put the pavers in, cut each one in and recess in the foam board? Lots of great info on this site. Hopefully I'll get some quick replies. Her birthday is Friday....pics would be awesome. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.