Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I re-aim the return jet eye-ball

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I re-aim the return jet eye-ball

Ok, I feel kinda dumb for asking this but, how do I move the little eyeball in the return jet? At first I thought that I just had stationary ones return jets, then I took one off and looked in the back. There is a ball that is held in between a bezel and the part that threads into the wall. Is there some kind of tool you use to re-aim them or loosen them?

I know, it seems like something that should be obvious. I feel like this is one of those, "...he doesn't know how to use the 3 shells..." kinda things.
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I re-aim the return jet eye-ball

The retainer is two pieces. Loosen the outer piece and the ball will move.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

The part that threads in to the wall should stay where it is at. Losen the bezel and the eyeball should move.
    Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

4. Back To Top    #4

So the bezel is just threaded in place? no weird locking clips or something.

I tried just unscrewing it (it was my first thought), it must have been over tightened. I'll try one of those strap wrenches or some channel lock to get some leverage.

Thanks.
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

5. Back To Top    #5

you may have to turn the pump off- sometimes the water jet will hold the eyeball in place against the nut...
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

6. Back To Top    #6

A strap wrench is much better than channel locks, the channel locks can tear up the plastic if you aren't careful.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Before breaking out the heavy equipment (channel locks or a strap wrench) - try using a screwdriver in the hole as a lever to adjust the direction
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)