Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water level sensor

1. Back To Top    #1

Water level sensor

I don't have a water level sensor and I have to manually turn on water almost twice a week. I received an estimate that if I install a underground sensor, it will cost about $1,300 (because of the digging involved and the concrete pool deck). I searched on the internet, the Pool Sentry Water Leveler M-3000 does not have good reviews. The Pool keeper seems to have a better review. The cost is less than $100 for each. Are there other good sensors that I should consider? Anyone has experience with Pool Sentry or Poolkeep that you can share? Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Water level sensor

The Pool Keeper works alright, but it needs to be sitting there being a possible trip hazard. Something permanently installed is much nicer, though they do get expensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll tell you what I did. In my case, I had a set of sprinkler control valves right near pool equipment. I tied into this and added 1 more control valve. The output from this is connected to my pool pump return through a 1 way check valve. I run this zone 4-5 minutes 3 times a week in the summer and this keeps my pool filled up. It works well because generally the more I need to water my lawn is the same time my pool has more evaporation.

4. Back To Top    #4

I read that the IA851025 Staypoollizer Automatic Pool Water Leveler has good reviews at Amazon. Anyone has experience with this water leveler?

5. Back To Top    #5

New York, Texas

I gave up on my levelor and am now using a stock tank float valve from Tractor Supply ... about $10 ... works great ... isn't beautiful but it is in my overflow trough so it's not important to me ...
    40K gal rectangular IG Gunite ... white plaster ... 20 ft negative edge ... 2 Intelliflo VF 3050 pumps ... 2 Sta-Rite Cartridge filters ... IC60 SWG ... Pentair Thermaflo heat pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Houston, TX

Maybe you can open the pool fill valve just a tiny bit to stave off the constant refilling. I had a leaky valve and never really had to refill the pool. Then I repaired the valve and am now filling the pool once a week.

Of course if you with this solution, you have to keep a close eye on the fill level...
    15k gunite pool. Intelliflo VF. Autopilot SWG.
    2k separate spa with waterfall (ie: pain in the rear maintaining a separate body of water). 2HP Hayward Tristar pump.