Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In-ground liner options.

1. Back To Top    #1

In-ground liner options.

I currently have a large in ground pool w/ a vinyl liner, which needs replacement. I would like to go with a higher end finish if possible (and budget allowing).
    I purchased the home as a foreclosure and the pool is boarded up, so I don't know too much about it, but I believe the walls are cinder block. Do I have any more lining options, or am I stuck with using vinyl?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: In-ground liner options.

WElcome to TFP!

I'm not sure about what options you have but posting some pictures of your pool may help in determining what options may be available.

Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by crookm11
    WElcome to TFP!

I'm not sure about what options you have but posting some pictures of your pool may help in determining what options may be available.

Thanks for the welcome! The pool is boarded up so there's not much to look at, but here you go.

I was able to sneak a peak under the cover. As expected, the whole thing needs to be redone.

4. Back To Top    #4

Switching from vinyl to plaster or pebble would be a major renovation, about the same as building a new pool from scratch. Putting in a new liner shouldn't be too difficult. The main question: Is the underground plumbing intact or not.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Switching from vinyl to plaster or pebble would be a major renovation, about the same as building a new pool from scratch. Putting in a new liner shouldn't be too difficult. The main question: Is the underground plumbing intact or not.
    I would probably opt for new plumbing to be run when the pool was re-lined. Is it a major overhaul to do so? I didn't really care for the location of the filter, so I was hoping that could be rerouted elsewhere.

6. Back To Top    #6

Running new plumbing probably triples the size of the project, but that is still much simpler than switching to plaster/pebble.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

One word of advice, go with a premium level liner, they hold up much better than the standard grade liners. My current liner is a premium grade liner and is about 7 or 8 years old and still looks great. The liner that was in the pool before the current one was a cheap standard grade liner that lasted less then 5 years (it was put in as an unplanned emergency replacement due to an incident with an golf cart style ATV in the pool, the front bumper put a 5 foot long gash in the liner in the shallow end)

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~