Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: resurfacing vs re or just painting.

1. Back To Top    #1

resurfacing vs re or just painting.

I just drained my pool to power wash it and clean it up to get it ready for summer. Lo and behold the bottom and some of the sides are pitted and missing plaster. Would love to resurface it but unable to foot that monster right now. I would like to slow down the deterioration until I can afford the resurface. Will perhaps spot plastering the worst areas and painting it with a rubber based paint help for a year or two?

PS oh and where can I get the plaster and info on how to prep the pool before applying it. Any suggestions on what is the best to pretty good plaster and paint to use.

in ground plaster kidney ~15500 gal, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 240, Whisper Flow 3/4hp, dedicated pool cleaner w/booster pump mod# PB4, pool - 20+ yrs, pump, filter and booster ~9 yrs, Polaris 380 pool sweep(~15 yo).

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: resurfacing vs re or just painting.

Paint only tends to last a year or two, and after a couple of layers of paint you have to sand blast it off. After a couple of years of that you end up spending more than plaster would have cost.

You can leave the bad plaster areas alone and all that will happen is that it won't look very good and there might be an extremely slow leak.

Patching plaster is tricky. You need to widen the bad areas enough to get clean vertical edges to plaster up to, which is tricky and even then you don't always get a good bond.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School