Can't get rid of cloudiness...frustrating...latest test #'s

edweather

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2010
Kingsland, GA
Opened the pool late last week, and a lot of ground water/dirt had gotten into the pool from the April rains. The whole bottom of the pool has a layer of brown mud on it. I finally vacuumed the shallow end, and only part of the deep end, because I can't see the bottom. I did what I could. Tomorrow I'm hoping to vacuum more if I can see more of the bottom. Even though there is mud on the bottom, I was assuming the pool would basically clear, except for the layer on the bottom. I'm also currently shocking the pool and these are tonight's test #'s. FC-24, TC-24.5, PH-7.0, T/A- 90, CH-100, CYA-60. I know a few of the #'s are a little high or low, but not too out of whack. I still thought the pool would clear better. I can't see past 4' down. It doesn't seem to matter whether I run the pump or not, the cloudiness stays the same.

Re: Can't get rid of cloudiness...frustrating...latest test

With mud in the pool, I'd think you might just need a little more patience. Run your pump 24/7 and vacuum all you can, even if you can't see. It may get worse before it gets better since vacuuming will stir up some of the dirt.

Are you vacuuming to waste, or filter?
What type of filter?
you should be able to clear this, with a little time/effort...
Wouldn't worry about your numbers- watch the pH to make sure it doesn't go lower (if 7.0 is lowest on your test, you may need to boost it a little, since you don't know if 7.0 or less...)
If your FC holds over night (<1 ppm loss from dusk to dawn) then with your CC of .5 (TC- FC) I would guess that it is all just dirt keeping it cloudy- not an issue with growth, just filtering it out... will just take time to get it all into the filter instead of the pool bottom!
If it settles significantly, you can try to vacuum to waste to get rid of it- then refill water...

Definitely vacuuming to waste. We have a sand filter w/new sand last year. Pressure runs about 10 psi normally. The pH is currently 7.0, and it goes up a little every time I vacuum a couple thousand gallons to waste and refill with 8.0 hose water. So the pH should be 7+ by the end of today. Once I am satisfied that I have everything (dirt, leaves, worms, etc.) vacuumed, I'll check the FC loss overnight. Thanks for all the help. Time to vacuum! To be continued.....

I vacuumed the pool 4 times. The pool is definitely clearer, but still cloudy. I'm almost convinced that the cloudiness is very fine suspended dirt particles, and that they are passing through the filter. Is adding some DE to the sand filter an option to help filter out the finer particles?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.