Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re-purposing empty reagent bottles

1. Back To Top    #1

Re-purposing empty reagent bottles

Duraleigh, Chemgeek, can I re-use the plastic bottles from the 8 oz. CYA reagent? What should I use to rinse them out? Mostly I'm thinking of using them in the garage or in the garden, for things like liquid fertilizer, where the dropper-top is handy for measuring small amounts. Also possibly de-natured alcohol for cleaning up little spots. What do you think?
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

Thanks, members of Trouble Free Pool, for being so friendly and informative!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Re-purposing empty reagent bottles

I'm gonna go ahead and step in here to recommend that you don't re-use the containers. It's just not worth it. I'm not sure how much the chems can imbed into the plastics. Even the CYA test contains melamine, which causes kidney failure in small animals. You could probably get a dozen of those bottles for 15 bucks at a lab supply.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

3. Back To Top    #3

plastic unused bottles are available at walmart for cheap- don't risk it. It's like eating easter eggs- if in doubt, they're too cheap- don't do it.
    14'x28' vinyl liner inground 3.5-6' deep wedge hopper 15000 gal (used to say 13000- I calculated wrong), 1 hp pump with sand filter, 2 returns, 1 fountain, traditional chlorinated, pool house.

4. Back To Top    #4

The Lethal Concentration where 50% are killed (LC50) for melamine is 6000 mg/kg while for melamine cyanurate it's 4100 mg/kg. Even if these compounds adsorbed somewhat into the plastic, if you thoroughly rinse the bottles multiple times the quantity that could be leeched would be very small and way, way, way, way below even the 63 mg/kg/day No Observed Adverse Effect Level (NOAEL) even adding a factor of 100 Margin Of Exposure (MOE) to get to 0.63 mg/kg/day. This amount is less than 1 ml of pure substance which is very doubtful to get absorbed let alone released all at once from the plastic.

Of course, using a new container would eliminate the possibility of that small risk.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. It isn't that I need the bottles, they'd just be handy for a couple of applications. And going to Wal-Mart requires a flight to another island. Maybe Duraleigh could refill 'em. Thanks for the info!
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

Thanks, members of Trouble Free Pool, for being so friendly and informative!