running an electrical line for my SWG.

vodka

Jan 13, 2011
south louisiana
Im about to run an electrical line 100 feet from my electrical panel to my SWG for power. Its going to be 220 volts and its going to be underground, the cable not the pump. I might also want to run my 110 that goes to my pump on that same line cable. Any suggestions on what kind of line/cable I need? Where should I get it from? Thanks. Any and all help is greatly appreciated and needed.

will you be using conduit or direct burial wire--If you do it has to be UF rated wire .. Also I would make the pump or SWG the same voltage -- it is not a good practice to make a Branch circuit from a 220 to a 110 off the same circuit ... I would not use less than a 10/2 at the long range --not knowing the amp rating of the pump. If you can fill in some of the blanks there -- I can try and help out some more.

You can't use direct burial wire for a pool pump. The ground has to be insulated and direct burial has a bare copper ground.
Does the SWCG have to be 220? If not, just run the SWCG off the same line as the pump. Tie the pump and the SWCG into the load side of a timer.
You dont want a 120 branch circuit off of the 220.

Well the pentair we have now is 1.5hp, 115 volts and 12 amps and the wire running to it is underground. So in guessing it is AC, armored cable, and its using 110. I would have no idea how to change a 110 to a 220 or a 220 to a 110. As for making the SWG a 110 I just didn't think you could run something that needed 220 on a 110.

You may wish to consult with an electrician who can take a look at your particular configuration of equipment, terrain, and resources and recommend a plan for your install which fits your situation and local codes. The physical aspects of digging a trench, laying in the conduit, and pulling the wire isn't overly complicated, but there are considerations which depend upon the details. Wire size will depend on the voltage, the load of the equipment, and the length of the whole run. Conduit size will depend on wire size and fill percentage. The trench will need to be at least 18", and if there is more than four 90 degree elbows there will have to be a pull box somewhere, etc. You can certainly do the work yourself, but a professional opinion by someone knowledgeable who can actually see your setup would be the best starting point.

What bama said- I'd run like a 50 amp 220 subpanel, then have very short runs from the subpanel to all the pool stuff-
and the subpanel will break up the 220 into the 110 legs you need-
There is not a problem running a 110 leg from a 220 circuit- heck, your whole house is a 220 leg off of a 440 circuit, powered through a transformer from like 7500 volts!
It needs to be wired correctly, but is not a problem!

madwil said:
There is not a problem running a 110 leg from a 220 circuit- heck, your whole house is a 220 leg off of a 440 circuit, powered through a transformer from like 7500 volts!
It needs to be wired correctly, but is not a problem!

We were adding the caution that its not good pratice to run a 120VAC circuit off of an existing 240VAC circuit by sharing a hot leg. Besides, a 2 wire 240VAC circuit has no neutral, and you need one for a 120VAC circuit.

madwil said:
your whole house is a 220 leg off of a 440 circuit
Most residential 200 amp service panels have two, 120VAC legs on opposite phases.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
Just to add fuel to the fire. At 100' 15 amps and 120 volts, you'll need #10 AWG wire. If it were me, I'd go ahead and set a small sub panel near there and use that to power the pump, swcg, lights, etc.

It will be jump the pump and swcg on it. There's nothing else to hook up. Was told I could use one line to run my pump and swcg. I was planning on just undigging the old line that the pump runs on now and putting the new line next to it and burying them both.

I was also told I should add another panel by the pumps like y'all were talking about. What kind of housing would I need to protect it from the elements? I know I need something to house the swcg in so more then likely it would have both in it. So something not to big but not really small.

I still think that it is extremely likely that the SWG can be reconfigured for 115 volts or the pump can be reconfigured for 230 volts and the pump and SWG can share a circuit, which would save a fair bit of the effort and expense that you all are proposing and be safer (since the SWG then could not come on unless the pump was also on).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.