Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Amount of salt for start up

Amount of salt for start up

We are in the process of starting up our intex 24' x 52" pool with intex sand pump/filter and intex chlorine generator. We are struggling! We have added the amount of salt suggested in the manual but it keeps reading low salt. We have added another 40kg as the manual suggests. Can anyone tell me how much salt is needed for starting up the pool.
    Many Thanks
    Intex 24' x 52" metal frame AG pool.
    Intex sand filter with 0.95hp pump.
    Intex saltwater chlorine generator.

Re: Amount of salt for start up

Is this a new chlorine generator? What is the current water temperature? How is the water flow through the pump?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21" round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

Please tell us how much salt you added in total.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Give the salt a minimum of 24 hours to dissolve. Brushing helps. My SWG says to run the pump for 24 hours after adding salt. Then check the reading.
    40 X 26 Free Form Pool with attached 9 X 7 Spa raised 18" with 8 Jets and Spillover, and an Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto with accent rocks, 26,000 gallons
    Intelliflo VF-3050 for Pool, VS-3050 for Spa Jets, VS-3050 for Waterfall/Grotto, Quad DE 80, 400K BTU Mastertemp, Intellitouch i7+3 w/ iS10 10 Function Spa-Side Remote, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorinator, Telephone Remote, 2 Intellibrites for Pool/ 1 for Spa, Solar Panels on 2 story Roof w/ 75% coverage
    Pebble Tec Tropical Breeze Tsunami's Pool Build

Member In the Industry

Sometimes if the Cell is dirty, your Salt System will keep reading low salt and not generate. Try cleaning it if you believe you have enough Salt in your pool. I'm not sure what salt level the Intex system is set to generate at. Most salt systems generate at a minimum salt level of 2700. And as mentioned above, if your pool water is too cold (say under 60 degrees), some systems won't produce at that temp.

Thank you very much. I cleaned the cell and it worked!
    Kerry.
    Intex 24' x 52" metal frame AG pool.
    Intex sand filter with 0.95hp pump.
    Intex saltwater chlorine generator.