Autopilot Systems - Warnings Low Amp - Cell?

May 12, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Hey Guys,

I have a 20k gal in ground pool and I have a DIG-220 Auto Pilot. I've had it for almost 5 years and i'm getting that warning.

I have cleaned the cell with hydrochloric acid and it appears to be very clean. Any suggestions?

Last year I somehow would reverse the cell and it would make chlorine for me.

Welcome to TFP!

There is a force reverse in one of the menus. It is possible that your cell is worn out in one direction, but still works in the other direction.

Low amps is suggestive of a cell wearing out, which after five years would not be surprising. A good double check is to do a test Auto Pilot on the menu and tell us what the amps and volts read. Another thing to look at is to open up the cell and look at the corners of the cell plates. A cell that is wearing out will have the corners worn away on several of the plates.

Activate the cell by pressing the BOOST button. let it run a few minutes then do the TEST POOL PILOT.
High volts and low amps usually indicate a bad cell or cell cord.
Low volts and low amps can be a blown cell fuse (top left corner of the circuit board), or a bad power module (the whole circuit board).
Check the rest of your fuses while you have the top covers off.

I pressed BOOST and then TEST POOL PILOT

Cell SC-60
Power Level 3
Salt 3200 PPM
2V . 6av

Then I did it again and got.
Cell SC-60
Power Level 3
Salt 3200 PPM
1V . 6av

And did it again and got.
Cell SC-60
Power Level 3
Salt 3200 PPM
0V . 6av

I opened up the unit and couldn't remove all the cords from the back of the control panel and looked for some fuses. I think there is one in the upper left and it looked OK.

Yes, you can upload small images using the attachments feature on the post reply page, but that only works for fairly small image files. The alternative is to get a free account somewhere like PhotoBucket.com and then link to the photos there.

Low amps and low volts are mostly an indication of the cell fuse (top left corner) being blown, or a damaged power module.
On occasion, if the program of the relay was changed inadvertently to REMOTE RUNS PUMP, it will not activate the cell, but it wouldn't give you the Low Amp display either. A quick check for this is to press the PUMP button to see what it is programmed for. It should be EXTERNAL TIMER if you have an external time clock to control your pump and DIG, or ONE SPEED PUMP if you're using the DIG to control your pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, the AutoPilot tells you the salt level, but Poolsean is concerned that there might be a problem with the salt sensor in the AutoPilot. If the salt sensor was reading significantly higher than actual you could have the symptoms you describe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.