Can black algae grow.....

Jul 8, 2008
Hellow all, quick question. Can black algae grow through the plaster of the pool from the ground underneath the pool?

I have a black algae problem and with out even seeing the problem, my pool service is saying it is probably growing from the ground under the pool and coming through the plaster under the liner.

Is this even possible, I wasn't able to find any previous information about this in this forum, so any help will be apprecaited.

Thank you for responding. Now can metal staining happen on the vinyl liner in a fiber glass pool? It has gotten a little bigger over the years. Please note it came after I first bought the house and I had a huge problem with chlorine not taking in my pool. After much grief and finally finding this board, found out my issue was to high a cya because my pool doesn't get backwashed because I have a cartridge filter. After I took care of my cya problem, the black stuff hasn'T grown to much, but seems to get a lil bigger each year. What can I do to remove the metal staining if that's my issues.

Crush Vitamin C tablets in a sock and hold them down on the stain for a few minutes. If the stain is lightened or gone, that is a metal stain.

Altenatively, hold a tri-chlor puck on the stain, if it is lightened or removed the stain is organic and can be treated with adequate chlorine levels.

Black algae in a vinyl pool is possible but not very likely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is possible for fungus growing behind a vinyl liner to show through sometimes. To treat that you need to get fungicide behind the liner. That most likely means draining, applying fungicide, and installing a new liner, though there is some chance you could reuse your existing liner if it isn't too old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.