Hayward EcostarVSP with AquaPlus Control - Reality

jhalpinjr

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2011
Warner Robins, GA
Hi all,

Some news and tips for those who may be going this direction. Note as always in depth research would have prevented this but I relied on my Pool Builder.

The setup was to be a Ecostar Controlled by the AquaPlus. In reality this marriage is VERY limited and will not allow full function of your Ecostar. The pump was installed yesterday like this. The PB only set one speed. It was basically running at almost full RPM. Going through the menus and instructions of the AquaPlus I see where he set it to be "variable speed". Here though lies the real kicker:
The AquaPlus only has 2 timers for this output so, you can only use two speeds of the pump. Might as well save 1200 on the Ecostar and get a two speed pump. You can however manually ramp the speed up and down with AquaPlus- hardly efficient if you want automatic control.

So I unhooked the controls from the AquaPlus to the pump and programmed the 8 timers that come with the Ecostar control mounted on the pump. It works great now.

I learned something however from Goldline Controls (Hayward). After getting bounced around from different departments of tech support (no one wanted the pump, no one wanted the controls- they could not provide me a person who could talk about both as in a system) I finally got a person who was (or seemed) very knowlegeable.

After confirming my suspicions about the AquaPlus, he advised me I needed to do one more thing. In order for the SWG to work you must set a timer on the filter out put of the AquaPlus so that it will send power to the cell. Dont forget this.

All in all I wished I did more research as they now a a unit that will do 4 outputs.

IMAG0368.jpg

IMAG0367.jpg

IMAG0369.jpg

and couple pics of the pool for good measure:
IMAG0371.jpg

IMAG0370.jpg

There are options however

Nice Pool!

Boy, that sure sounds dumb on Hayward/Goldline's part to not be able to program and utilize more than two speeds.

The more I read about pool automation, the more it is apparent to me that the design approaches taken by these systems designers are almost universally lousy, they all seem to have tons of compatibility problems even within their own product lines, poor documentation, and on and on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.