Pool color choice vs. wildlife

May 10, 2011
Hi all. This is my first post but I have been lurking here for a while and have learned SO much. Thanks to all admins and posters for such a great site.

I am starting construction of a new house and pool here in central South Carolina. I have narrowed down to two pool builders, and may post again regarding how to choose between them and all the other choices I'll need to make, but for now I have one initial query:

I have been told by a couple of local pool owners that darker pool finishes (blue/black) are more hospitable and attractive to snakes and other wildlife. My house will back up to 10 acres of pretty wild woods and shallow wetlands, and my wife and kids might all die of heart attacks if there is ever a snake in the pool. I really love the look of the darker finishes and was planning on using Diamond Brite dark blue or ebony.

Is this animal thing a real issue, or just old wives tales??

OH - thing number two - what effect do the darker finish colors have on multicolor LED lights at night? Will the light colors be less discernable or bright?

TIA! :cheers:

I don't believe the animal thing (never heard it before and it sounds ridiculous, animals are attracted to water, not colors), but you're right that the darker/richer colors won't show the LED colors as nicely as a white or light blue/tan will.

Welcome to TFP! Please post up the bids you get from the builders and we'll help you pick and choose what you actually need vs. what they want to sell you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.