New liner, new water. Looking for an overview:

May 12, 2011
Hi there, just signed up, been lurking/reading awhile to get up to speed without making too repetitive a "newb" post.

I've got an aboveground, 10K gallon pool, seems like a good round number. Full sun. Gets alot of sun.

I bought a basic "poolshop" test kit at the local store. It's drops, they were really pushing the strips, no 'high-level" kits around. I will order one of the taylor kits y'all mention.

My question as I try to grasp the BBB system:

1. Can you give me a thumbnail sketch, or overview, of how much bleach I would be using on a regular basis, assuming I get the numbers where they should be, say everything is running on schedule? Trying to get an idea how many bottles of 1gal bleach I'd use a week for instance.

2. Trichlor pucks: Can I make good use of them to get started, build CYA? I've got a bucket of these from last year. I want to get away from them, because they will "overload the CYA" (I think : ) ), but I'm a little fuzzy on CC and CYA. Sounds like these pucks will build a good base of CYA to get started? Getting this CYA built up to hold thru full sun seems tricky.

SInce I put in the new liner/water a week ago, I've used 3 of these pucks and added about a gallon of bleach a day.

Numbers- Hard for me to tell on this kit, but with a puck in the floater and adding a gallon of bleach last night, FC is above 5ppm at noon today (bright yellow) and PH looks okay at about 7.5. It says wait 2 minutes for CC reading, but doesn't seem to change much.

I think I'll be able to tell better when I get a good kit, mostly curious about the affects of using these pucks to get started. I know that's kind of a loose overview,and repetitive of many posts, appreciate anytime you have on this puck thing.

Welcome to TFP!

The average pool uses about 2 ppm of chlorine, or less, each day. In 10,000 gallons that is five cups of 6% bleach.

You can start with trichlor if you want, but that presents it's own minor challenges. Trichlor is acidic, so you need to be constantly raising the PH. It works, but it isn't enough better in any way that most people would want to do that.

A gallon of bleach a day is way too much. I'm not sure why you are doing that.

For more specific advice, you should get a full set of water test results, either when you get your own test kit, or by getting a set of pool store test results.

The idea behind the gallon of bleach was to "shock level" the pool so the new water would be sanitized.

I was using the pucks to get the CC built up? Can I get there the same way with just the bleach and raising the CYA level? I could be messing these abbreviations up, getting the CC or CYA to a level to hold the chlorine is the part I'm not grasping well, but the forum and many similar posts have been a big help.

Trying to get started the right way with this 'new water'. I keep fish tanks forever, real good with water levels to keep stuff alive, didn't think 'kill it all' would be difficult to understand. : )

I'll get better numbers when I get the right kit.

CYA is cyanuric acid, also called stabilizer. CYA protects chlorine from sunlight. Trichlor tablets add chlorine and CYA and also lower the PH.

CC is combined chlorine. You don't ever want any CC, though if you have just a tiny amount it isn't too bad. If CC is above 0.5 you need to shock the pool.

Shocking is only required if the water isn't clear, or CC is above 0.5, or there is some other obvious sign of organic contamination.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.