Filter questions

onewomanarmy

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2011
When we started our filter this year, couldn't get the sight glass to not leak. Doesn't leak when in normal filter mode, but when I switch to backwash it leaks for several seconds then stops leaking and when I switch to rinse or waste it leaks continuously. I hand tightened as well as I could and even had someone else try to tighten it down - neither of us could get it to budge any further and leak was still there.

Also, when in filter mode, I get a slight accumulation of water in the backwash hose. Not a huge amount, but figure it's indicative of an issue somewhere also.

Neither of these is a huge deal as this filter is out the door soon (laterals are busted too apparently) - but I figure if I understand why these things are happening I'll better understand the mechanics of the filter in general.

Thanks! :)

The site glass only has water in it when the multiport is in backwash or rinse, not filter. The site glass should have a rubber gasket inside. Either thats missing, or is brittle and needs to be replaced.
You probably need a new spider gasket as well in the multiport.

A little water leaking from the sight glass while backwashing or rinsing is no big deal. It's headed out anyway! Might try and put a little silicone lube on it if you like.

I thought it seemed like it would need some sort of gasket (the glass) - didn't see one anywhere with the rest of the stuff so thought maybe I was mistaken. So it was either lost or was left sitting in the socket that the glass screws into (and didn't winter well!) . I thought it was interesting that it didn't leak continuously when on backwash but did on rinse. Water pressure maybe is slightly different (backwash vs rinse) coming into the glass. Again, nothing important, I'm just always full of questions. Sometimes this is good...sometimes not so much... :)

When I shut down last year, I was hoping the filter would be in decent enough shape to get a few dollars out of it on craigslist when we swapped it out. But after firing it up this year - not sure it's worth much of anything. Oh well. Hard to be too upset when floating in the pool... :lol:

Woody - I was more curious what that meant pressure/air wise. Figure if water could get out, air could get in...but also figured that where it is in the system, probably not very likely that it would be a problem. Thought I would check though in case it's potentially taxing on the pump or something.

Thanks for the replies!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.