Build in HEB DFW

yrqrm0

Mar 21, 2011
My first post here but wanted to thank all responsible for this wonderful and informative site – great community!
I am doing a build here in middle DFW – HEB area and wanted to share lessons learned from previous pool ownership for those thinking of undertaking this major investment. Please make note that opinions here are from my own experience only and as an fyi to you.

My first pool was 15 years ago from a previous residence.
• It was a gunite pool and it held water temperature very good - warm water even after rain and on late summer early fall
• It had raised wall with sandstone veneer and a couple of port fountains – a water feature for relaxation
• Sandstone for coping blended with warm earth tone color bricks around the house
DISLIKES:
• 35,000 gal was too much for a family of four
• 8 foot deep end and diving board and slide not ideal for young children
• very little shallow area and steps were not ideal for young children
• 100 sq ft cartridge filter not sufficient
• no drains around the deck invites flooding to the pool – a nightmare
• white plaster - developed stains over time from debris

My 2nd pool from current residency.
• Play pool - 5 feet deep end, ideal for toddlers and teenagers
• Large shallow area and long and large steps nice for hanging out
• Fiberglass pool -smooth surface (like a very huge bath tub)
• 12,000 gal - very easy to maintain, bleach and bleach was all it took; somehow ph remained constant all the time
DISLIKES:
• 12,000 gal – became too small for toddlers growing into teens and friends
• Fiberglass pool - water was always cold even in very hot summer months deep in the heart of Texas
• Fiberglass pool - though the pool lasted more than 25 years, started leaking water the past few years, hairline cracks here and there. Walls and floor started bowing in and finally decided to rip it out and decking for a brand new pool.

My 3rd pool and its current build - I will post pix of this current build but wanted to ask opinions and pix if any, on pebble tec’s gemz fire opal pendants as spotters on any pebble finish in general or specifically in a blue granite pebble sheen, thanks.

Attachments

• hebpool.jpg
    hebpool.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 878
old fiberglass pool, structure and plumbing leaks
IMG_1886.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

clean up before demo
IMG_1916.jpg

the dig...
note: dimensions of old fiberglass pool starting from the right side, also switched shallow and deeper ends...
IMG_2358.jpg

IMG_2354-1.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

IMG_2357.jpg

while initial agreement was to excavate by hand, didn't realize the extent of work...
heavy equip bought in to finish...
excavation completed.
IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2712-1.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

she's showing me how she would swim in the pool, of course!
IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

That, she is!
I guess, THE MAIN REASON why we go through hoops with projects such as this, seeing the joy in their faces after jumping in the pool, swimming back and forth and screaming, "watch this, daddy", makes it all worthwhile, indeed...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ouch. Hurts to see this. Hopefully the delay will not be too long.

I am curious what the process will be to fix all this ... remove all the dirt and just have a larger gunite poor?

bobby1017 said:
jblauert said:

I am curious what the process will be to fix all this ... remove all the dirt and just have a larger gunite poor?

What does this mean?, am I missing something?

I think he means all the fall in in the bottom corners covering up the rebar. Gotta have that rebar ENCASED in the gunite, ideally 3" (in the center) of the pour. Not gonna be fun getting all that dirt out of there.

bobby1017 said:
jblauert said:

What does this mean?, am I missing something?

Starting at the middle of the last post with pix, was after a lot of rain. You can see how all the dirt has eroded behind the rebar (and in some places now covered it up) and the spa area (?) looks like it has collapsed by all the sand bags.

Ok I see. I had somewhat the same problem with mine but it was from groundwater approx 48" below the surface. Several section colapsed behind the rebar. They dug / vaccumed the dirt away from the rebar. In some spots they made a form, others they sprayed the gunite extra thick to fill the colapsed area.

I just love this site! So many of you who share the same passion in pool builds.
Yup, that was very keen observation... I forgot all about that issue until I was reminded after posting the pix.
PB brought in his excavation team again and cleared / vacuumed collapsed section to expose rebar prior to gunite. Tanning ledge on north end wasn't rebuilt with sand bags. They just poured more...
IMG_2777.jpg

IMG_2778.jpg

IMG_2779.jpg

Currently, crew is grading and putting steel in deck for tomorrow's scheduled inspection. Hopefully, deck pour by week's end and pebble afterwards.
What is up with Cubs in DFW, by the way? Local team here just went to the World Series last year! :lol:
Unfortunately, other local team not so much in these Finals yet (too early?). :grrrr:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.