Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build in HEB DFW

1. Back To Top    #1

Build in HEB DFW

My first post here but wanted to thank all responsible for this wonderful and informative site – great community!
    I am doing a build here in middle DFW – HEB area and wanted to share lessons learned from previous pool ownership for those thinking of undertaking this major investment. Please make note that opinions here are from my own experience only and as an fyi to you.

My first pool was 15 years ago from a previous residence.
    • It was a gunite pool and it held water temperature very good - warm water even after rain and on late summer early fall
    • It had raised wall with sandstone veneer and a couple of port fountains – a water feature for relaxation
    • Sandstone for coping blended with warm earth tone color bricks around the house
    DISLIKES:
    • 35,000 gal was too much for a family of four
    • 8 foot deep end and diving board and slide not ideal for young children
    • very little shallow area and steps were not ideal for young children
    • 100 sq ft cartridge filter not sufficient
    • no drains around the deck invites flooding to the pool – a nightmare
    • white plaster - developed stains over time from debris

My 2nd pool from current residency.
    • Play pool - 5 feet deep end, ideal for toddlers and teenagers
    • Large shallow area and long and large steps nice for hanging out
    • Fiberglass pool -smooth surface (like a very huge bath tub)
    • 12,000 gal - very easy to maintain, bleach and bleach was all it took; somehow ph remained constant all the time
    DISLIKES:
    • 12,000 gal – became too small for toddlers growing into teens and friends
    • Fiberglass pool - water was always cold even in very hot summer months deep in the heart of Texas
    • Fiberglass pool - though the pool lasted more than 25 years, started leaking water the past few years, hairline cracks here and there. Walls and floor started bowing in and finally decided to rip it out and decking for a brand new pool.

My 3rd pool and its current build - I will post pix of this current build but wanted to ask opinions and pix if any, on pebble tec’s gemz fire opal pendants as spotters on any pebble finish in general or specifically in a blue granite pebble sheen, thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16x34 17,000 gal IG gunite blue granite pebble sheen 420 sq ft pentair cartridge, intelliflow SVRS, easy touch 8, 5G led, moss boulder waterfall, http://www.troublefreepool.com/build...fw-t31285.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Build in HEB DFW

Thanks for sharing! When your build starts we would love to see some pictures!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

old fiberglass pool, structure and plumbing leaks

clean up before demo
    16x34 17,000 gal IG gunite blue granite pebble sheen 420 sq ft pentair cartridge, intelliflow SVRS, easy touch 8, 5G led, moss boulder waterfall, http://www.troublefreepool.com/build...fw-t31285.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Plans look nice.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

Can wait to see how you tear out the current pool.

Remember we like pictures.

Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

6. Back To Top    #6

deck demo

fiberglass pool demo

7. Back To Top    #7

the dig...
    note: dimensions of old fiberglass pool starting from the right side, also switched shallow and deeper ends...

while initial agreement was to excavate by hand, didn't realize the extent of work...
    heavy equip bought in to finish...
    excavation completed.

she's showing me how she would swim in the pool, of course!

8. Back To Top    #8

I see a little girl that wants to see that pool finished sooner rather than later.

9. Back To Top    #9

That, she is!
    I guess, THE MAIN REASON why we go through hoops with projects such as this, seeing the joy in their faces after jumping in the pool, swimming back and forth and screaming, "watch this, daddy", makes it all worthwhile, indeed...

10. Back To Top    #10

steel and plumbing

rain and rain and rain...

11. Back To Top    #11

Nice pics
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Ouch. Hurts to see this. Hopefully the delay will not be too long.

I am curious what the process will be to fix all this ... remove all the dirt and just have a larger gunite poor?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by jblauert

I am curious what the process will be to fix all this ... remove all the dirt and just have a larger gunite poor?

What does this mean?, am I missing something?
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by bobby1017

I think he means all the fall in in the bottom corners covering up the rebar. Gotta have that rebar ENCASED in the gunite, ideally 3" (in the center) of the pour. Not gonna be fun getting all that dirt out of there.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by bobby1017

Starting at the middle of the last post with pix, was after a lot of rain. You can see how all the dirt has eroded behind the rebar (and in some places now covered it up) and the spa area (?) looks like it has collapsed by all the sand bags.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok I see. I had somewhat the same problem with mine but it was from groundwater approx 48" below the surface. Several section colapsed behind the rebar. They dug / vaccumed the dirt away from the rebar. In some spots they made a form, others they sprayed the gunite extra thick to fill the colapsed area.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

17. Back To Top    #17

I just love this site! So many of you who share the same passion in pool builds.
    Yup, that was very keen observation... I forgot all about that issue until I was reminded after posting the pix.
    PB brought in his excavation team again and cleared / vacuumed collapsed section to expose rebar prior to gunite. Tanning ledge on north end wasn't rebuilt with sand bags. They just poured more...

18. Back To Top    #18

coping, waterline tile and moss boulder waterfall

19. Back To Top    #19

Looks like your almost ready for pebbles!
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

20. Back To Top    #20

Currently, crew is grading and putting steel in deck for tomorrow's scheduled inspection. Hopefully, deck pour by week's end and pebble afterwards.
    What is up with Cubs in DFW, by the way? Local team here just went to the World Series last year!
    Unfortunately, other local team not so much in these Finals yet (too early?).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast