Desperate Advice Needed: Filling Gaps Behind Pool Tile

May 12, 2011
[attachment=0:2chwgncd]pooltilejob.jpg[/attachment:2chwgncd]
I have three questions for anyone who can help. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME! What's happened here is that the tiles above the tiles that you see have fallen off due to erosion, growth of roots, etc.
(1) How do I fill this gap, which is behind tiles that fell off? Which product (please be very specific) do I use to fill this gap?
(2) What type of tile glue would I use to attach the tiles to the wall here? (please be very specific with the product name) I know that the glue has to be different to the standard indoor floor tiles for a kitchen.
(3) What type of grout do I use for tiles like this? (it will be submerged under water)

Someone please help me! I'm in desperate need of advice.

VICTORIA
:)

Attachments

• pooltilejob.jpg
    pooltilejob.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 145
VictorP said:
(1) How do I fill this gap, which is behind tiles that fell off? Which product (please be very specific) do I use to fill this gap?
You can use Type "S" mortar.

VictorP said:
(2) What type of tile glue would I use to attach the tiles to the wall here? (please be very specific with the product name) I know that the glue has to be different to the standard indoor floor tiles for a kitchen.
You can use white Portland cement (such as Lehigh white Portland cement) or white thinset mortar.

VictorP said:
(3) What type of grout do I use for tiles like this? (it will be submerged under water)
You can use a mixture of 1 pound of white Portland cement (such as Lehigh white Portland cement) and 1.75 pounds of marble aggregate(such as Marblemix). You should screen the aggregate to remove the larger pieces of aggregate. A shallow pool skimmer net works well for screening aggregate.

James, thank you SO MUCH for your reply. How is TYPE S mortar different to regular mortar? Is the Portland cement the same type of cement used in regular indoor floor tile jobs? Would I need some sort of grouter sealer to make that grout waterproof?

JamesW said:
VictorP said:
You can use Type "S" mortar.

VictorP said:
You can use white Portland cement (such as Lehigh white Portland cement) or thinset mortar.

VictorP said:
You can use a mixture of 1 pound of white Portland cement (such as Lehigh white Portland cement) and 1.75 pounds of marble aggregate(such as Marblemix). You should screen the aggregate to remove the larger pieces of aggregate. A shallow pool skimmer net works well for screening aggregate.

VictorP said:
How is TYPE S mortar different to regular mortar?
Type S is usually specified for below grade. It has good compressive, tensile and flexural strength.

VictorP said:
Is the Portland cement the same type of cement used in regular indoor floor tile jobs?
Look for white Portland cement.

VictorP said:
Would I need some sort of grouter sealer to make that grout waterproof?
No, the grout will be waterproof as mixed.

James, the hardware store doesn't know what you mean by Marble aggregate. Could you please explain a little more on what that is?

JamesW said:
VictorP said:
How is TYPE S mortar different to regular mortar?
Type S is usually specified for below grade. It has good compressive, tensile and flexural strength.

VictorP said:
Is the Portland cement the same type of cement used in regular indoor floor tile jobs?
Look for white Portland cement.

VictorP said:
Would I need some sort of grouter sealer to make that grout waterproof?
No, the grout will be waterproof as mixed.

VictorP said:
James, the hardware store doesn't know what you mean by Marble aggregate. Could you please explain a little more on what that is?
Contact a local pool company that does pool plastering. They should be able to sell you some Marblemix.

You can use white sanded tile grout mixed with white portland cement and it will be reasonably waterproof.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.