Backwashing Woes

Apr 28, 2011
Hello all.

I have a hayward vari-flow. My problem is currently my backwash hose is connected to a threaded 1 1/2 inch elbow. When twisting it on to backwash the hose becomes twisted up. I want an easier solution than twisting on an elbow fitting.

Is there a piece I can purchase that might have a quick release valve I can put on? There has got to be an easier way than untangling a 50 foot backwash hose each time. I've attached a picture of the elbow I'm currently using.

utfurl.jpg

Thanks for any help,
Rob

Ok so it sounds like I might be doing it wrong from the beginning. Each time I backwash:
1. Screw off plug
2. Twist on the elbow
3. Turn handle to backwash
4. Start backwashing.

When done I rinse. Then:
1. Turn handle to filter.
2. Remove backwash hose.
3. Screw on plug.
4. Turn on filter.
5. Add DE to skimmer.

Am I making more work for myself?

the multiport valve, in filter position, is supposed to shut water flow from the waste line...
If yours is leaking, or designed a little different, you may have to cap the line to prevent water flow
Try it- shift to filter, turn on pump, see if you get water coming out of the waste pipe. If not, then you don't need to remove hose and cap line each time!

Why don't you leave the elbow on all the time, and just remove the hose (it's held on by that stainless steel hose clamp - just use screwdriver to turn the screw on the clamp to loosen it). That's if you don't want to see the hose wrapped up all the time. I, like others here, just leave the hose on all the time, rolled up until I need it.

Also, looking at your method, maybe you just didn't mention it, but make sure you turn the pump off each time before switching the valve to the different positions.

Purchase a union fitting that fits on your threaded pipe and then add a small piece of straight pipe on the other side of the union and use the hose clamp to tighten the hose on the piece of the straight pipe. All you need to do then is disconnect the union each time. If you can't find a union that fits your angled pipe, find a piece in home depot that has the same thread and put a small section of pipe on that end of the union with the thread going into your filter.

If I didn't explain well enough, unscrew the hose clamp and take the pipe to home depot and tell them you want to connect a union to the pipe on one end and a hose on the other and tell them why. They can come up with a configuration for you.

Attachments

• union.jpg
    union.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 183
First and foremost, Madwil has it correct. The multiport valve should completely stop the flow of water out of the waste port when in filter position. If it doesn't, then your valve needs repairing. If it does, then just leave the baskwash hose screwed in all the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
XsAllOverIt said:
Purchase a union fitting that fits on your threaded pipe and then add a small piece of straight pipe on the other side of the union and use the hose clamp to tighten the hose on the piece of the straight pipe. All you need to do then is disconnect the union each time. If you can't find a union that fits your angled pipe, find a piece in home depot that has the same thread and put a small section of pipe on that end of the union with the thread going into your filter.

If I didn't explain well enough, unscrew the hose clamp and take the pipe to home depot and tell them you want to connect a union to the pipe on one end and a hose on the other and tell them why. They can come up with a configuration for you.

As others have said you don't need to cap the backwash, the valve shouldn't leak out it. However, if you want to disconnect your hose, you need a union. A union is a connection that seals, but one that seals with a nut that spins instead of spinning the whole pipe.

If Home Depot doesn't have what you need, Praher makes unions for all sorts of applications. Just google them and you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll give it a shot tonight. I haven't yet tried running on filter mode with the backwash hose still on. Now that I know it won't cause damage and is designed to function like that I'll ensure there are no leaks when I try.

Bama Rambler said:
First and foremost, Madwil has it correct. The multiport valve should completely stop the flow of water out of the waste port when in filter position. If it doesn't, then your valve needs repairing. If it does, then just leave the baskwash hose screwed in all the time.

Would the repair be something I could tackle myself? Any guides?

This is my problem. I tested yesterday and when in filter position it gushes water. I'm not very happy about it and do not want to spend the upwards of 100 bucks to replace it.

For now I'm just going to un-clamp my hose each time. I'm saving up to replace all the equipment back there next season. New pump, new filter, and new valve now.

You sure can repair it yourself. The top of the valve should be held on by a bunch of screws. Just shut everything off and remove the screws. That will allow you to remove the handle and the top of the valve. The spider gasket is located right under the top. You'll most likely have to scrap the old one out and glue the new one in. Take the old with you to the pool store and match it to the new one. They're not too expensive.

I had to replace my spider gasket when we moved into the house 2 years ago and now I have noticed that when I switch back to filter I have to be very careful and listen for kind of a hissing noise indicating that water is going to backwash too. Drained half of my pool over night the first time before I realized this ... I thought it sounded different, but it was dark out and I did not have a flashlight to check the backwash plumbing exit.

So, I am thinking the when the new gasket was installed, it was not glued down properly and has started to get messed up again ... raising the questions:

What glue should be used on the spider gasket?
Is there a different method that should be used when turning the lever? Only turn it one direction, etc?

I don't have an opinion on what's the best glue to use. Nor do I have a theory on which method to use when turning the handle. I turn mine in whatever direction that strikes me at the moment. I do however press the handle all the way down while turning it, making sure the gate is clear of the spider while it's moving.

Some people say to only turn it one direction and I won't oppose that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.