Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: order of testing

1. Back To Top    #1

order of testing

i know some of the tests (PH, FC/CC?) are more time sensitive then others and have to be made fairly quickly. what would be the correct order of testing?
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: order of testing

FC/CC first, PH second, then you can take your time with the others.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

thank you Jason!
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you taking a bucket sample then testing from the bucket?
    I take individual samples direct from pool for each test, so only get what's needed and do the test, don't have to worry about time
    I agree the FC and pH are most critical, and only ones I do daily...
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

5. Back To Top    #5

i'm still in the theoretical phase of my pool ownership i bought a house last year with a pool and in a month i closed the pool. so i'm trying to figure out the routine for myself. one part of the process was reading this forum for a while. before i kinda dreaded the time when i need to open the pool now i'm looking forward to it

so, back the the testing. i could do it by the pool in which case i would get a fresh sample for every test i want to do. or i could get more water into a squirt bottle and bring it into the house and do the tests there. not sure which one is the best yet.

6. Back To Top    #6

The squirt bottle is usually much easier to deal with, and the results are just fine as long as you do FC/CC first and PH second.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I do it next to pool- gets me out of the house and out of my wife's way!
    But like Jason said, the squirt bottle is fine...

8. Back To Top    #8

8 oz is enough?

9. Back To Top    #9

8 oz is more than enough. I have an 8 oz bottle and I usually only fill it half full.

10. Back To Top    #10

cool, thank you guys!

11. Back To Top    #11

This was taken from the "Tips and Tricks" post that I found here ... I don't remember who posted it, but Thanks! I use this method!!

Take your water sample from 2 feet under without getting your arm wet or bending over. Using a 3/4" PVC pipe, about 4' long, hold your hand on the top of the pipe to prevent water from entering (air from escaping), sink the pipe about 2' down and then remove your hand (pipe fills up). Replace your hand and remove the pipe and put over your water sample cup that you have placed on the coping. Slowly let air enter and dispense the water into the cup.
    I started using this method this winter when I no longer wanted to stick my arm in the cold pool. Now I continue doing it so I don't have to bend over.

One more tip - I use a turkey baster to transfer my water sample to the comparator tube.
    20,125 gal. (2,690.6 c.f.) In-Ground / Concrete (Gunite) / Pentair Tagelus TA-60-60D Sand Filter / Pentair Whisper Flo Pump Model WF-24 @ 1HP / Hayward Veri-Flo Valve Model 710 / Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit / Pool School student

12. Back To Top    #12

Flotsam,

I saw that post earlier and got a pvc pipe the other day from home depot for that purpose

13. Back To Top    #13

I had some left overs from the irrigation system !
    20,125 gal. (2,690.6 c.f.) In-Ground / Concrete (Gunite) / Pentair Tagelus TA-60-60D Sand Filter / Pentair Whisper Flo Pump Model WF-24 @ 1HP / Hayward Veri-Flo Valve Model 710 / Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit / Pool School student

14. Back To Top    #14

a diver in MA worried about a little cold water? lol

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam

I had some left overs from the irrigation system !
    i fixed my sprinkler zone number 5 yesterday - there was a lot of digging in the mud for me, but i like getting my hands dirty now i'm undertaking some re-piping project for the pool. hopefully it could be done this and next weekend. then pool opening!!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by madwil
    the "diver" part is detached from "skydiver" that's me on my avatar existing the plane during speed skydiving competition in sweden. a few years ago.

17. Back To Top    #17

cool- it looked almost like a skindiver on a reef!

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Diver
    Quote Originally Posted by madwil
    the "diver" part is detached from "skydiver" that's me on my avatar existing the plane during speed skydiving competition in sweden. a few years ago.
    You jump out of perfectly good airplanes???

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    You jump out of perfectly good airplanes???
    did you see any skydiving planes ? anyway, i'm not jumping anymore - retired at 1001 jumps august or september 2009 to start training for my 2010 Everest North Col expedition. retired from that June 2010. Now I have a wife, a daughter, a house, a yard and a pool. so no cool stuff for me anymore

20. Back To Top    #20

the pool and the daughter can be cool stuff- and sometimes the house!
    The wife? highly variable... I'm fighting with mine right now!