Paramount Debris Canister Air Bubbles

May 11, 2011
My pool-

17000 Gal
Jandy 2.0 HP Filter pump runs all of the filtering requirements for both pool and attached spa through automatic valves.
Jandy 1.0 HP Booster pump runs only the PCC 2000 in-floor cleaning system for both pool and spa

The Paramount debris canister is on the filter pump side and is nothing but air right now. The pump is of course the same. I have checked as much of the suction side as I can (above and below ground) and its all good. When I change the valves over to run the spa, the bubbles go away completley, so I'm confidnet in my testing of the suction side right at the pump. However at, near or below the debris canister is another question. In-pool drain has been disassembled and checked for damage and obstruction, all good.

This is the fourth summer for my pool, I've already learned a ton the hardway, but this one is kicking my but... I live in New Mexico and the winters are cold, but not too bad, however last winter we did get below zero a couple of times so freezing of pipes and components is certainly a possibility. Is it possible the debris canister in the deck is cracked? Is it possible the pump is worn or too weak to run the pool side, but still strong enough to run the spa side without trouble. Both pumps have new motors of the proper rating, but I have not done any maintenance on the pumps other than the normal shoutdown and opening in the spring.

Any advice, criticism, direction is very welcome, Thanks.

If I understand you correctly, you are getting air into the system when the pump is running. I can think of no other scenario except a suction side leak for that to occur. Since it goes away (and apparently primes) when you run it in spa only, then the problem is somewhere that is unique to the "pool only" plumbing.

I assume you have checked that the pool level is high enough to prevent the skimmer from slurping air?

My pool-

17000 Gal
Jandy 2.0 HP Filter pump runs all of the filtering requirements for both pool and attached spa through automatic valves.
Jandy 1.0 HP Booster pump runs only the PCC 2000 in-floor cleaning system for both pool and spa

The Paramount debris canister is on the filter pump side and is nothing but air right now. The pump is of course the same. I have checked as much of the suction side as I can (above and below ground) and its all good. When I change the valves over to run the spa, the bubbles go away completley, so I'm confidnet in my testing of the suction side right at the pump. However at, near or below the debris canister is another question. In-pool drain has been disassembled and checked for damage and obstruction, all good.

This is the fourth summer for my pool, I've already learned a ton the hardway, but this one is kicking my but... I live in New Mexico and the winters are cold, but not too bad, however last winter we did get below zero a couple of times so freezing of pipes and components is certainly a possibility. Is it possible the debris canister in the deck is cracked? Is it possible the pump is worn or too weak to run the pool side, but still strong enough to run the spa side without trouble. Both pumps have new motors of the proper rating, but I have not done any maintenance on the pumps other than the normal shoutdown and opening in the spring.

Any advice, criticism, direction is very welcome, Thanks.
Was wondering if you ever found the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.