FC .5
    CC 0
    PH 8.2
    TA 110
    CH 360
    CYA 45
    temp 86
    Salt 4000

Salt has been running high and im going to turn down the SWG from 50% to 40% today.The pool calculator doesn't say to add bleach but it seems as it's low I should.... Waiting on you experts to give me the low down- thx!
    20,000 Freeform IG Gunite,Gray Plaster,Tanning Ledge w 2 Bubblers, 8f tRaised Spa with 8 jets,Fiber Optic-3 ft Sheer Decent, 1 ft Sheer Decent, Intellibrites, 2 HP Jandy Stealth Pump, 1 HP Jandy pump, 340 Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy Aquapure Salt System, 2-1HP Blowers....and promised but not yet delivered Rheem 105 BTU Heat Pump/Chiller

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Add bleach? Confused

Based on your CYA of 45 you should target between 5 and 6 ppm chlorine according to the CYA/Chlorine chart. I would add bleach (chlorine).

I am curious, why would turn down your SWG because the salt is running high? I would think you should do just the opposite because your FC is low. But then again, I do not have a SWG so I will leave that to those that do.

Temp is 86. Get in the water!
    22,000 gallons "L" shaped with spillway spa; Hayward 4820 DE; IG Vinyl; 2000 ppm salt; 50 ppm Borates; liquid chlorine; Polaris w/ booster; TF-100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

There are a couple of different things that need adjusting here. First, lower your PH to 7.2 and always keep your PH below 8.0. Lowering PH will start to bring the TA down. You want to continue lowering PH to 7.2 every time it gets to 7.8 until your TA is below 80.

Your CYA level is way to low for use with a SWG. You want to raise CYA up to around 70 to 80. At low CYA levels the SWG can't keep up with chlorine loss due to sunlight. Once CYA comes up the SWG will do much better.

Finally, SWGs are not designed to bring the FC level up from zero. You should manually add some chlorine to establish a normal FC level and the SWG will have a much easier time keeping up from there than it will trying to raise FC up from zero.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok- will do! Knew I could count on you! It's been really warming up here in the last week so I'm sure that's added to things....Plus I've not been staying on top of things( testing properly) sheepish grin
    20,000 Freeform IG Gunite,Gray Plaster,Tanning Ledge w 2 Bubblers, 8f tRaised Spa with 8 jets,Fiber Optic-3 ft Sheer Decent, 1 ft Sheer Decent, Intellibrites, 2 HP Jandy Stealth Pump, 1 HP Jandy pump, 340 Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy Aquapure Salt System, 2-1HP Blowers....and promised but not yet delivered Rheem 105 BTU Heat Pump/Chiller

5. Back To Top    #5

Also Jason the SWG has been running high and till last week has had the chlorine high(4300) and it's been shutting down to protect itself.... Chlorine levels plummeted though this week...guessing due to higher temps/sunnier days.....have had no rain in months...we're in extreme drought here in South Mississippi

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

JL,

You are confusing salt and FC.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

4300 is not the chlorine level, thats the salt level in the pool. Turning down the generator has nothing to do with lowering from 4300. Going down is going to lower the FC (.5). If you want to lower your salt level (4300) your going to have remove and replace some water from the pool.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

8. Back To Top    #8

The pool calculator won't tell you to add anything unless you give it "what it is now" and "what I want for a target" values.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

9. Back To Top    #9

Sorry, I meant to say that the high salt levels(4300) seem to have been keeping my FC high...does that sound right?The high salt was also trying to shut down the SWG(or going into safety mode).....now this week the FC fell really low but it's been much hotter and sunnier this week. When I plugged the .5 into the pool calculator w a target of 5 nothing happened after I hit calculate....thought I was going nuts as I figured I needed bleach. Maybe it just didn't register. With all that said I recalculated tonight (on pool calc) & it said to add bleach. Phew. I will add water, bleach & more stable- sound right?

10. Back To Top    #10

So...did you raise your CYA? That should make a difference for you pool's chlorine "addiction". So what are your "today's" numbers for pool chemistry? Up to date numbers for chemistry are always good for "good" advice on this forum. Thank you.
    22,000 gallons "L" shaped with spillway spa; Hayward 4820 DE; IG Vinyl; 2000 ppm salt; 50 ppm Borates; liquid chlorine; Polaris w/ booster; TF-100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir